What's new
What's new

Using digital readouts with different brand x/y axis sensors???

outdoort

Plastic
Hi guys. First post to the forum here. I run a welding shop, and I'm purchasing my first machine tool: Alliant 42vc vertical mill.

I'm going to pick it up tomorrow, and it doesn't have a Dro (the screen/readout device) but it does have the x and y axis sensor rails (don't know the correct terms here for these) and wiring that would go to one of the screens/readout devices. Someone had removed the screen and everything else appears to be intact. My question is: Can I just buy a screen/readout and get the DRO back up and running???

Are those x/y rail sensors standard across the board where I can use pretty much any screen/readout? I don't mind a little rewiring of the plugs/control cables if needed. As soon as I get this thing, I'll check out the brand/model number of these sensor rails but just wondering if most are interchangeable or what can get me back up and running with a quality DRO quickly and not expensively.

I'm hoping to pick up a surplus used digital readout screen somewhere for a 100 or so and get it working again. If thats wishful thinking than I guess I can save up for something nice.

This mill is from Hrg industial so I have no idea of the history of it. It does seem like it was in good shape. I checked the ways and such and everything looked good.

Oh also looking for a Manual for this thing if anyone can let me know where to find one. Paper or electronically.

Thanks a lot guys! Hopefully I can stick around a while and learn some things on this forum.

Your going to have to find the correct DRO, I don't know of any DRO manufacturers that share the same plugs or read the same scales, maybe someone on the forum knows more about this then I do.
We have a bunch of DRO by different manufacturers here and none of them are interchangeable.

You may be able to buy a board for an arduino to use a phone as a bluetooth connected dro screen. Talking on the order of 100$ im on my phone otherwise i would go googling for a link to send you.

What brand of scales are on the machine?

The "Sensors" on the machine are Linear Scales, also known as Linear Encoders.
There are 2 basic types, Graduated Glass scales, or Magnetic.

The Glass scales come in basically 2 flavors of output signals, Quadrature, and Sinusoidal. Depending on the Mfgr. they could be either of the 2 types.
The magnetic type are usually Newall brand for the most part.
If the scale outputs match the input required by the DRO display box, and
you know the pin-out (or can get the wiring diagram) for the scale cables, you can put the correct plug on the cable and make it work.
You'd have to get your hands on a DRO display unit that plays correctly with the scale output signals.

If I remember a few correctly,
Teledyne-Gurley are Sinusoidal.
Analam and Accurite are Quadrature.
Probably most of the modern China import DRO's are Quadrature....

Best and easiest solution would be to purchase a new DRO kit and be done with it.

many acu-rite and anilam dro's have the same scales( i have acurite scales w/ an anilam wizard 211 ). some have
different plugs - db9 or round amphenol- but you can replace the plugs if need be. many of the new import scales
speak the same language, and just need the right plug adaptor.

you can buy a new import dro for a bpt for about $300 . i've used a couple , and they seemed to be well made
and worked well. if you get one - buy from a us dealer .....so if there are any fuckups, you can get them
sorted out.

We picked up a cheapo from one of these places for about 275 bucks for our larger manual lathe (large to us anyway) off the web. Like these below. The mounting kit sucked so we just built our own.

2 Axis Digital Readout For Milling Lathe Machine With Linear Scale(1mm &65mm) | eBay

We had a job coming in for the lathe that RO's would save a huge amout of time on and took a chance on it. Thought we would replace the DRO later when we had some free bucks but 3 years now and it's still going strong.

Last edited:
Their are a lot of "flavors" so mixing and matching can be a matter of pure luck.
Mitutoyo and Accurite scales come in both sine and square wave output.
Both are quadrature and only absolute scales are not.
Then there are various voltages/currents used to "source" the information to your box and some boxes can be configured to work with sine or square.
Add that scales come in differing resolutions and your box might not handle a different brands line count per inch.

At the core they are all sine/cosine quad and line count determined by the grating pitch but some have more smarts in the reader head than others doing signal shaping or interpolation.
You can also buy "smarts" or convertors in a in between box from places like Deva and such boxes are also sold by Mits, Heidenhain, others to interface their products to other boxes or controls. This is expensive.

Do you feel lucky?
Bob

I found a document on Anilam scales. It says right at the top that it lists the reader heads that correspond with their appropriate scales but then reading down a few pages it sounds like "reader heads" is the term they are using for the cable type and lengths????

"reader heads" sound like the digital display to me but idk.

Here is the Link: http://candomachinery.com/Anilam Scales 70000339.pdf

Anyway thanks so much everyone for posting here. I'm surprised I got this much help from so many of you here. Got this thing set into its semi permanent place last night and cant wait for the electrician to come in and wire my 3 phase up.

Like @tnmgcarbide said you can swap anilam/acurite scales and boxes around as they are compatible. Sounds like you are in luck! You might have to adjust the error comp or the encoder resolution/direction, but that is super simple to do.

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

@danagear the only company I have heard of that makes scales for other manufacturers boxes is Newall. Personally I have never seen one and I dont like the idea of putting one companies scales on anothers box (I think Anilam/Acu-Rite/Heidenhain is different because theyre all one big happy family now lol). I forget what the name of the scale is, lemme grab my book... It looks like they are called DSG and DMG scales. From what their literature says, it looks like they claim to be able to (I say claim only because I havent done/seen it myself) interface with Anilam, Acu-Rite, Mitutoyo, Fagor, Sargon, Heidenhain, and the SWI Trak systems... and then at the end of the list they say "and others" lol

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

Back