What's new
What's new

Using a HSS 2x2x3/4 TicN roughing endmill

Mark G'Beer

Plastic
You have a rush job on 60 pieces of A36 HR steel. There's a need to mill .188" deep across the face of the 4"x10". Several passes required.

You're using a manual milling machine. AcraMill, but that's not relevant. There's an auto feed for the X-axis and a DRO.

What do you do? How shall you run it?

I'm asking for help because I've been running at 200 rpm with a feed rate of .010/sec at a depth of .188". And making passes every 1.50". With the lubricant flowing on the cutter. And the endmills are taking a beating.

Last edited:
Post a picture of the setup and endmill, as you've described it I don't have a good idea of what's really happening.

What other cutter options do you have besides that particular endmill?

Sorry, guys, I have a difficult time navigating through what I need to do in order to post a photo or three.
Greg, we do have that tool. I used it initially but the 5 cutter planer is only for finishing.

I'll just post it on FB, would be easier that way. I thought asking here would get better answers. In fact, I *just* joined the PM there.

I'll just post it on FB, would be easier that way. I thought asking here would get better answers. In fact, I *just* joined the PM there.

You want better answers you have to give better information. You don't get mad at your doctor when you tell him over the phone, "It hurts when I do this." and he has no clue what you are talking about.

You want problems diagnosed, there is no bigger repository than here, but you need to be able to do more than some basic info. Also the machine is relevant. There's a huge difference between trying to mill on a new/newish 3 HP Bridgeport/clone and a clapped out 1 HP BP/clone with 80,000 hours on it. Or in come cases, Milacron have mercy on their souls, a Grizzly.

I would clamp a 4 by 10 inches part on the table of a horizontal milling machine and go over it with a plain cutter on arbor, one roughing pass, then a finishing. Carbon steel no problem

Back