What's new
What's new

Using probe in Endmill to make point cloud for reverse engineering?

Sendit

Aluminum
Using probe in bridgeport to make point cloud for reverse engineering?

In a way using a probe in a milling machine (bridgeport) to act almost like a CMM. I have a part I want to make a model of in inventor, however there are some angles I can't measure due to lack of equipment and such a small area.

Idea is to use probe to make point cloud and then use those points to get my angles and complex shapes.

Last edited:
This is routinely done, in fact centroid sells a kind of package for their controllers to just that. (With a probe not an endmil, however. What does an endmill have to do with this?)

What kind of probe.?
Painful but you can take X.Y, Z raw numbers and enter them by hand into the Cad side.
On a ball probe you then enter the circles of the probe dia. and plot tangent to them. Your X/Y will normally be centerline, your Z may be shifted to the tip.so you may have to subtract from your numbers.
Fiddle on a known part first. It will make it easier to figure out.
Bob

Meant milling machine IE Bridgeport.

Something that could communicate DRO measurements and the probe input would be a "touch and go" operation.

Basically using the DRO to save a coordinate system when the probe signals to enter the data point.

I regularly do what your looking to do.

I have (had) a Mititoyo indicator mounted in a fixture that can be mounted either in a BP or a CNC. It uses a sharp pointed tip to indicate the surface. The fixture has the end adjustable so when I mount the indicator/fixture I indicate the tip to make sure it's concentric with the spindle. The end of the fixture is adjustable in X and Y.

So I can record X,Y and Z. It can be tedious if taking a lot of points.

Meant milling machine IE Bridgeport.

Something that could communicate DRO measurements and the probe input would be a "touch and go" operation.

Basically using the DRO to save a coordinate system when the probe signals to enter the data point.

You do realize that calling a Bridgeport (or other turret mill) an "end mill" is the equivalent of calling an engine lathe a CNMG insert or a boring bar, don't you?

Vertical milling machine,if you must be correct

You do realize that calling a Bridgeport (or other turret mill) an "end mill" is the equivalent of calling an engine lathe a CNMG insert or a boring bar, don't you?
There are many vertical milling machines that are NOT TURRET MILLS.I am 74 years old and have heard machinists say ''lets take it over to the end mill and mill this slot''. This was especially thrue long ago when most milling was done on a horizontal mill.Language and machining changes with the times . Today many well equipped shops don't even have a traditional horizontal milling machine.Edwin Dirnbeck

There are many vertical milling machines that are NOT TURRET MILLS.I am 74 years old and have heard machinists say ''lets take it over to the end mill and mill this slot''. This was especially thrue long ago when most milling was done on a horizontal mill.Language and machining changes with the times . Today many well equipped shops don't even have a traditional horizontal milling machine.Edwin Dirnbeck

There are indeed vertical mills that are not turret mills but they are not Bridgeports with a turret, allowing the mounting and use of a vertical shaper.

I am 74 years old and have heard machinists say ''lets take it over to the end mill and mill this slot''.

You got me by 11 years. Usually, the guys that I hear using terms like that come from an "in house" shop. Where I used to work, we had guys using "digital verniers". They called stuff that, because that's what everybody else called them. Doesn't make it right, but it sure makes it tough when you don't have a clue what they're talking about some times.
JR

think this thread went down the drain..lol

Want to use brigdeport milling with a probe to make a point cloud...has anyone done this? If so how did you go about it?

I have done this on a 3d setup for a surveying class.

It took about 2 hours of time to record all the points needed to make a 3d model of the main entrance at K-States engineering building and another four hours entering in all the grid points and elevation to get a model drawn up.

It is doable but if you have a small part and want nice resolution job it out to a company that has the tool probe. They will set it up and the machine draws the part for you. Much less time invested you can be doing more productive things and have a better drawing to work from.

Post #7 has the answer. All you are doing is recording XYZ, regardless of the method used (assuming it's 3 axis, duh).

Yes but how they went about recording it. Hoping someone had or knew of a software that would record all three axis with a push of a button.

Yes but how they went about recording it. Hoping someone had or knew of a software that would record all three axis with a push of a button.

it's not just a software problem... it's a hardware problem too. Do you have an interface from your DRO to a computer? I doubt it. If you did, you would not be asking. If you had that, you could integrate it into your control.. and use a real probe... but then your would have a modern machine with part probing and you again would not be asking...

there is no free lunch for you. you either need to just manually enter it on a spreadsheet, or you need to buy or build the hardware interfaces and software.

there is a new Tablet based DRO that uses a variety of scales and probably could save a series of points quite cheap. TouchDRO Project
|
Yuriy's Toys

Back