What's new
What's new

Using tiny cutters (0.062" dia)

borne2fly

Hot Rolled
I'm wondering how much material I can remove in a pass with something this small? The workpiece is aluminum. Using a HSS tool currently set up to run at 22,000rpm and 100ipm. I'm ready to take off 0.005" per pass with the side, or 0.005" with the face using a 50% stepover. These little cutters look awfully delicate and I have no experience with them except the few I broke as a kid fiddling with Dremels.

When using Frank Mari's tiny 3/64th endmills on copper, .0003 feed per tooth, at 4,000RPM (Max for the college's TM-1), and plenty of compressed air and cutting oil. Seemed to work. Anything much faster then that and all you heard was a ping and the endmill cutting air. :o

Dimitri

Agreed. I was limited to 3500 rpm and I ended up running around 1.5-2 ipm in aluminum if I remember correctly. Blast it with air to get the chips out and spray with WD40 every once in a while.

So even at 20000rpm it looks like I need to keep it down to around 12 ipm. That sounds a lot more realistic than the 100 ipm I was looking at before. Thanks for the replies ........ you guys just saved me some bucks in broken cutters!

What kind of endmill are you running? Single lip or multiple lip?

The reason I ask is that cutter run-out becomes exceedingly important with small endmills.

As was pointed out above the CPT (chip per tooth) is on the order of .0003".

Imagine a 3 tooth endmill being fed at .001" per revolution. If this endmill has a run-out of .001" the feed per revolution will no longer be evenly distributed among the cutter's edges.

In the extreme one cutting edge does all the cutting and the cutter is now overloaded and breaks.

Moral of the story: Check the runout of small cutters and correct it if it is a significant fraction of the chip-per-tooth for that cutter.

Arminius

It's a 2-flute Niagra cutter, 0.062dia, 1/8 shank. I hadn't thought about the runout creating a problem, I'll definitely check it out. The smallest one I'm running is 0.031" dia, and at the moment I'm limited to 20,000rpm.
Some guys attach air driven pencil grinders to the quill to get over 50,000rpm, something I've considered. I've heard these little air tools can have runout problems, but I don't know if they were talking about the tool, or the cutter, or the combo.

Keep in mind that chipload is the most important thing: if you can get up to 50K you still need to be sure that you are in the ballpark of .0003" per tooth. Otherwise you'll be rubbing rather than cutting and tool life will only be slightly longer than if you overloaded it and broke it.

Don't run 50% step over, less or more but 50% is really nasty to cutters irrespective of size.

I can run it at 40% stepover, is that still too much?

Bob .... how did you calculate that 19ipm number? I still don't understand much of that stuff. I plan on plunging down .005 and then horizontally. Does chip load take into account the length of cut?

I can see I will need to check my spindle runout as a first step. In this case that means the runout of the Dumore die grinder .... it's strapped in parallel with the mill quill.

Go look in the cnc section and do some searching on step over. There's a lot of info there and it does make a real difference to cutter life. Sandvick have some good you tube videos too on cutter entry and step over. Equally look into chip thinning.

There all basic ideas than can be applied to anything from a mill drill right up to a 5 axis machining centre. Equaly the concepts work on cutters of any size, just scale feeds - speeds accordingly.

NSK makes a nice little air powered spindle, but I think they are around $3k. But they need a big compressor to keep up.

Fischer Precise makes some nice electric spindles that will go way up there. I have one and it works nice. ABEC 9 bearings in it.

the tinies

I know that im late on this one but I do alot of pocket type engraving in aluminum and with a coated carbide 1/32 4 flute I can run 66% stepover at .025 deep at 1 ipm. at 1.2 they're history. they also seem to last forever as long as they have slow running coolant bath. I run a 1/16 4 flute at 2 ipm at .05 deep. they will cut at 2.5 or even 3 ipm but it has bit me in the ass a few times. I am open for suggestions if anyone has any. I got a 100 piece job in the works at 100$ a pop. This time, time really is money!

What kind of endmill are you running? Single lip or multiple lip?

The reason I ask is that cutter run-out becomes exceedingly important with small endmills.

As was pointed out above the CPT (chip per tooth) is on the order of .0003".

Imagine a 3 tooth endmill being fed at .001" per revolution. If this endmill has a run-out of .001" the feed per revolution will no longer be evenly distributed among the cutter's edges.

In the extreme one cutting edge does all the cutting and the cutter is now overloaded and breaks.

Moral of the story: Check the runout of small cutters and correct it if it is a significant fraction of the chip-per-tooth for that cutter.

Arminius

Sometimes you cannot do much about runout, but one thing you CAN do is grind another setscrew flat and index the cutter 180 degrees and get more life out of it. In some shops tool holder selection is often limited, and there is not much you can do about it.

Back