What's new
What's new

Vactra # 2 shelf life

RJT

Titanium
I've called our distributor 3 times and asked the question, no one gets back to me. Rather than buy 5 gallon pails, thinking of buy a 55 gallon drum, but it will probably last me 2-3 years. Is there a shelf life to this? I've seen 5 years for un opened lubricating oils, but this wouldn't be un opened.

Yes, but all I know is 10 years is way too long to store it as it will form jelly blobs in it. You probably need to talk to Mobil if you want to trust the answer.

I've seen old Vactra in sumps have some sulfur settled out and collected on the bottom of the sump, but that's many (20?) years old. My uninformed opinion is that 2-3 years would cause no problem.

I've called our distributor 3 times and asked the question, no one gets back to me. Rather than buy 5 gallon pails, thinking of buy a 55 gallon drum, but it will probably last me 2-3 years. Is there a shelf life to this? I've seen 5 years for un opened lubricating oils, but this wouldn't be un opened.

There's the old trick of purging the air space in the drum after each draw-off with a dry inert gas.

Nitrogen is involved in the life-cycle of some biologicals, CO2 as well. Argon could be good?
Dasn't need much. You daren't go but the tiniest bit above atmospheric pressure anyway.

Buying 2 or 3 years ahead may bring you more than just the savings of 55 Gal over 5 Gal.

Petrochemicals are going up again.

I have not had David Scotts experience. Perhaps the storage temp and humidity are a factor?
Mud mentioned a fine sediment, I asked a knowledgeable friend and he said is was a clay from the refining process. Too fine to be filtered but does settle out with time. Non abrasive and no cause for concern. I just pour it off slow and it stays in the bottom of the buckets.

I have a small shop, and do some one off jobs. I only do jobs I want to do.
I don’t use a lot to vactra 2 and only bought a gal. About 8 years ago.
After reading you thread, I wondered if the gal,was still good.
I poured out the last quart and it looks great. I turned the gal. Jug up and dripped it out.
Now I store it in a controlled environment, about 66 to 68 degrees and humidity controlled.
That must help, or I got a very good clean Gal.

i just checked a vodka bottle where way oil has been living for at least five years untoutched (because im using another grade) and theres no sediment or anything, looks normal. surprised there would be any shelf life at all.

I am currently using engine and hydraulic oil thats over 10 years old........in fact my old crawler crane sat for 14 years ,and has since run without issues ,and no oil change .....yet.(Gardner 4LW diesel)........

Back