What's new
What's new

valve diaphragm for a Vacu-Blast P200 dry honer (shot peener)

1dogandnoexes

Aluminum
I'm looking for help chasing down a part for my Vacu-Blast P-200 dry honer. The diaphragm is a fabric reinforced rubber coated disk which sits on the valve body shown. It's from 1966 and has seen better days. The Vacu-Blast part# is 909931 for the diaphragm only. It was intended to be a serviceable part. Does any out there is the vastness of cyberspace have one for sale or know where to get one.

The valve stills works but it won't work much longer. If it fails completely, I'll attempt a repair with a rubber repair product. I would obviously prefer new old stock.

The best source would be Dave Holdaway at Vista Industrial in California but he hasn't returned a call or an e-mail.

If anyone knows of a suitable substitute valve, or where to find one, please let me know.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20200512_094648 (2).jpg
    20200512_094648 (2).jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 78
  • Dry Honer.jpg
    Dry Honer.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 76
I'm looking for help chasing down a part for my Vacu-Blast P-200 dry honer. The diaphragm is a fabric reinforced rubber coated disk which sits on the valve body shown. It's from 1966 and has seen better days. The Vacu-Blast part# is 909931 for the diaphragm only. It was intended to be a serviceable part. Does any out there is the vastness of cyberspace have one for sale or know where to get one.

The valve stills works but it won't work much longer. If it fails completely, I'll attempt a repair with a rubber repair product. I would obviously prefer new old stock.

The best source would be Dave Holdaway at Vista Industrial in California but he hasn't returned a call or an e-mail.

If anyone knows of a suitable substitute valve, or where to find one, please let me know.

Thanks in advance
Like this ?
Sandblasting Supplies & Sandblasting Parts | Indianapolis, Indiana | IDS Blast

Thanks but that's the diaphragm for the vibrator, not the same size or hole count, but similar function. I've been in touch with IDS; someone's looking into it. BTW, IDS has knowledgeable people and someone obviously put some effort into cross referencing part numbers.

Thanks but that's the diaphragm for the vibrator, not the same size or hole count, but similar function. I've been in touch with IDS; someone's looking into it. BTW, IDS has knowledgeable people and someone obviously put some effort into cross referencing part numbers.

It looks like it's for the pinch off valve.

You should be able to source some rubber (with the fiber) and simply cut your own out.
Or if it is a pinch off valve, replace the whole assembly.

Digger Doug:

Thanks for kicking around ideas for a solution. The photo probably doesn't show it well, but the diaphragm is not flat. While the outer perimeter acts a gasket, and stays in a fixed position, the inner diameter moves back and forth as a piston pushes it from behind. The stepped design of the diaphragm allows it to move back and forth, somewhat like an accordion, or a compression spring. Flat rubber might work if it could stretch enough. These types of diaphragms are still being produced. If I can't find one, I'll start experimenting.

I used cut diaphragms for the compressors all the time at the sandblasters .....however the rubber fabric sheeting material was so costly ,I used to buy offcuts from a maker of industrial gaskets.The sheet was something like $1000 a square meter.

Digger Doug:

Thanks for kicking around ideas for a solution. The photo probably doesn't show it well, but the diaphragm is not flat. While the outer perimeter acts a gasket, and stays in a fixed position, the inner diameter moves back and forth as a piston pushes it from behind. The stepped design of the diaphragm allows it to move back and forth, somewhat like an accordion, or a compression spring. Flat rubber might work if it could stretch enough. These types of diaphragms are still being produced. If I can't find one, I'll start experimenting.
I saw that "distention" and thought it was just stretched from all those years.
Making a flat one that small in dia, and asking it to distend that far would probable rip (and if fabric re-enforced, probably not work at all).

I see truck air brake diaphrams are similar.

Kind of a dumb smuck question, but have you called Wheelabrator to see if the part is still available? When I called them about a manual for mine, they said they still supported the VacuBlast line, but didn't have every part in stock anymore. The lady that I dealt with was very nice and was able to find the manual for mine pretty quick and get it to me. The price wasn't too bad, but the info was worth it.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Digger doug: The distension may in fact be from use. Parts of the diaphragm have lost their elasticity and cracked, so I really can't say if it was flat or not originally. Since a replacement is supposedly on its way, I'll post to this thread after I have it in my hand. I'll post the best picture I can take to add to the knowledge base.

cvairwerks: No dumb questions. I was not familiar with Wheelabrator as a parts source and I appreciate having an other source to call on in the future. I want to work for another fifteen years and I want this cabinet ready to switch on and go to work. It and my air compressor are now down and I'm accomplishing nothing.

All: IDS Blasting in Indiana claims to be able to source the parts and I've placed an order with them. Lead time is 5 to 8 days. They offered me three alternatives:

•909927 Complete Valve $ 699.00 /ea
•909931 Diaphragm Only $ 16.50 /ea
•909927-RK $ 150.00 /ea

The rear and mid sections of the valve body are brass, as are the internal components and midsection of the valve assembly. The valve cover is bronze and the screws that hold it together are brass. Since the valve body components are unworn, undamaged, and not prone to wear, I cleaned them in the wet blast cabinet and will reuse them. I ordered the rebuild kit and two extra diaphragms. If this actually pans out, I'll post here and will post a separate review on IDS blasting so that others with blast cabinet issues can find it. In the meantime, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

Back