What's new
What's new

Van Norman 777 boring bar

sparkymike

Plastic
Hi , I am restoring a Van Norman boring bar model 777. I need to remove the motor to check out the gearing inside the machine. Anyone out there done this and can give me some pointers ?
Motor has to come off, but how ?
Mike.

Pretty sure you remove the screws on the upper motor end bell and the motor lifts off the lower body. It's been years, but I don't remember it being very difficult.

There are about six screws on top cover. Two hold the switch plate in position. I removed switch holding nut and removed plate and switch stays inside cover. I have the other screws loosened a bit and cover moves but as the power supply lead runs through the cover, I guess that you have to undo the cable clamp and then feed the cable into the cover as you lift it. All the cover screws are short, so I guess there are longer studs inside the cover which are length of the motor.
I downloaded manual for the 777 but several pages are missing. I do have the original manual and parts list but it does not go into enough detail. I will see if I can post the parts list.
Mike.

Back