What's new
What's new

Van Norman 944 angle adaptor???

Bazgreener

Plastic
Hello all,
I have recently bought a small machine shop and am involved in auto restoration and engine rebuilds. I have a Van Norman 944 which I have used sucessfully to rebore 4 cylinder engine blocks but I have now been asked to bore a VW VR6 engine block which is a narrow angle (15deg) V6 and uses one cylinder head so this means that the cylindewr bores are not square to the block face. Is there any way to use my 944 to bore this? Could I make a 7.5deg angle plate to bolt to the block face? I think this would be close to impossible to make accurately (at least for me with my limited skills) :(
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Barrie

Hello all,
I have recently bought a small machine shop and am involved in auto restoration and engine rebuilds. I have a Van Norman 944 which I have used sucessfully to rebore 4 cylinder engine blocks but I have now been asked to bore a VW VR6 engine block which is a narrow angle (15deg) V6 and uses one cylinder head so this means that the cylindewr bores are not square to the block face. Is there any way to use my 944 to bore this? Could I make a 7.5deg angle plate to bolt to the block face? I think this would be close to impossible to make accurately (at least for me with my limited skills) :(
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Barrie

Might not be that bad, maybe start with a burnout of 2" plate, include the bores torch cut
as they are clearance only.
Have it blanchard ground on the bottom.
Duplicate the head bolt pattern to affix it on top. (transfer punch screws)
Someone at a machine shop to make those (2) 7.5 degree faces, the whole length.

IIRC (and as it';s been a long time since I was told this I could well be wrong ;) ) with that VW V6 block a much bigger problem could be getting the right quality of finish, VN portable bars shall we say ''have their limits that are very out of date'' (no offence intended) so the VW could ??????? take a lot of honing to being to spec (and I don't mean a flexiball type hone)

Just my 2 cents - YMMV

Might not be that bad, maybe start with a burnout of 2" plate, include the bores torch cut
as they are clearance only.
Have it blanchard ground on the bottom.
Duplicate the head bolt pattern to affix it on top. (transfer punch screws)
Someone at a machine shop to make those (2) 7.5 degree faces, the whole length.

thanks for the reply Digger Doug,
can you please explain in laymans terms for me as i'm quite new to this stuff :-)
I kind of get what you are saying.

thanks

IIRC (and as it';s been a long time since I was told this I could well be wrong ;) ) with that VW V6 block a much bigger problem could be getting the right quality of finish, VN portable bars shall we say ''have their limits that are very out of date'' (no offence intended) so the VW could ??????? take a lot of honing to being to spec (and I don't mean a flexiball type hone)

Just my 2 cents - YMMV

Thanks for the reply Limy,
We don't have any accuracy issues with the VN, we bore to -0.002 then hone with a stone to size. No issues thus far. Only ever use the flex hone to deglaze a bore for new rings.
I know it's a dinosaur but it's what i am stuck with at present until i can afford to invest in something more modern.

cheers

It's crazy to attempt this with antique equipment. The effort required just to do this one job, that might work, is insane.

I get what you are saying and i think i may pass on this one. Customer says he's struggling to find anyone to bore it for him.

I've done those on my 4 axis CNC. After a 20 minute setup/probe, the cycle time to bore each bank at exactly 7.5 degrees is about 8 minutes. If he is only going a minimum oversize like .50mm, a diamond hone would do the job without boring. Don't "think" about passing on this one, you'll spend hundreds on tooling that you'll use once to maybe do it right.

I get what you are saying and i think i may pass on this one. Customer says he's struggling to find anyone to bore it for him.

I would, .... jobs like that are akin to kicking yourself in the bollox and for £0...the only EW V6s I've seen done were on Schou boring m/c (and that co' closed down last year :( )

FWIW there are plenty of Schou type machines around, ...........could be the customer doesn't like the sort of prices such places charge, ......sorta short arms and long pocket syndrom.

Back