What's new
What's new

Van Norman 944s boring bar disassembly

jl1132

Plastic
Hello, Recently purchased a 944s van norman boring bar. While it is in good shape I would like to disassemble to clean out and re-lube everything. The other main reason why I would like to take it apart is because hand feeding the bar back up it is crunchy feeling at a certain point and sometimes binds up, the feed going down is relatively smooth. The issue I am having is that I can not remove the diamond lap to further disassemble. I have instructions and drawings for the bar showing the diamond lap has right hand threads on the inside of it that threads onto the shaft in the upper gear case. The instructions say to hold motor shaft in hand and thread off but i can not get it to unthread at all. Has anyone else happen to run into this issue? Thanks for any help

Hello, Recently purchased a 944s van norman boring bar. While it is in good shape I would like to disassemble to clean out and re-lube everything. The other main reason why I would like to take it apart is because hand feeding the bar back up it is crunchy feeling at a certain point and sometimes binds up, the feed going down is relatively smooth. The issue I am having is that I can not remove the diamond lap to further disassemble. I have instructions and drawings for the bar showing the diamond lap has right hand threads on the inside of it that threads onto the shaft in the upper gear case. The instructions say to hold motor shaft in hand and thread off but i can not get it to unthread at all. Has anyone else happen to run into this issue? Thanks for any help
can you send a link to the instructions / drawings you have? I have the same boring bar and need to do the same thing.

Back