What's new
What's new

Van Norman VS Kwik Way boring bar

Bigflywheel

Plastic
Hello all,
First time posting here. Need advice on boring bars. I am looklng to bore old hit and miss engines with 5- 8 bore and stroke of 25 inches. The question is what is a better made boring bar Van Norman or Kwik Way boring bar? I am looking for Van Norman 999 or equivalent. Does any body know a good seller? Any help appreciated. Thanks

Van Norman VS KwikWay boring bar

Good luck in finding a bar that will bore an engine of that size , those size bars were uncommon when new. Some of the places that rebuild big refrigeration compressors might have one if you can buy it. Or locomotive engine rebuilders, Van Norman has been gone for years and KwikWay no longer builds boring bars. You might look at a big lathe and mount the crankcase on the carriage and build a big boring head for the spindle. I imagine with a 25" stroke the cylinder must be at least 36" long?
I have two smaller Van Normans and I love them, very good machines, and I've owned several KwikWays too, and I live 25 miles from the kwikWay factory (which is a small shell of what it once was).
Jeff

Last edited:

Back