What's new
What's new

vapor degreasing solvents.... what are you using?

WILLEO6709

Diamond
we run a vapor degreasing operation before abrasive blast on some anodized parts. The solvent we are using runs about $30/ gallon..... its an aluminum part, various machining operations with everything from a fairly heavy mineral oil to water soluble synthetics. I think what we are using is Gentech from reliance specialty products. I'd like to find something less expensive.

If these parts are being anodized after the operation (sounds like they are) if everything is working well I don't think I would change. If you do, try a few parts and send a sample to the anodizer.

If the abrasive blasting is the last step, that should take care of any left over residue, however chemicals can cause major problems when anodizing. I used to do some anodizing, and I used simple green, 99% alcohol for degreasing in HOT water. Sorry I know not much help on what you asking, but maybe some help on the finish

Clint

Let's resurrect this thread, The People's Republic of Massachusetts is making n-Propyl Bromide NPB Solvent a reportable chemical in 2011. 10,000 lbs will be the reportable limit. We are 1/3 there, but hope to grow. This was supposed to be the "clean green" new solvent. Has anyone heard what the new "clean green" unreportable solvent will be? This is used in a vapor degreaser.

The place I worked stopped using vapor degreasing over a decade ago. IMO it's no longer a viable cleaning method in todays regulatory world. No doubt people still do it when they absolutely have to, but the liability is huge.

CH

Probably should look to a mild caustic soap with virgin RO final rinse. Not exactly cheap to set up, but the regulations are much less, so it's cheaper in the long run.

Yup, soaps and water. Now, everything we make where I presently am is tiny, but the rule is ultrasonic cleaners and soaps. I think you can get ultrasonic heads that will excite a 55 gallon drum if you need something big. We use a lab cleaner called Micro-90 for most things, but I discovered some aluminums will etch in it, so now I go with something much more mild for those parts. (edit- Micro-90 is expensive, but you dilute it quite a bit)

CH

***Looking for TCE replacement, or Methylene chloride replacement or TCA replacement or 1.1.1:

Check out GenTech, it works really well as a direct replacement and it is non-flammable.
People use it in vapor degreasing and ultrasonic units.
Trichloroethylene TCE Replacement >> Reliance Specialty Products

***looking for nPB replacement:

Check out AeroTron, it works as well, has a better H&S profile and it is non-flammable.
AeroTron can be used in vapor degreasing, ultrasonics cleaning and as a wipe also.
AeroTron Solvent >> Reliance Specialty Products

Back