What's new
What's new

Varaible speed motor for small spray booth - DC or 3ph?

richard newman

Titanium
Picked up a nice little 4' x 4' Devilbiss spray booth, has the usual tube axial fan with 1/2hp 110v motor. Will be used for spraying lacquer on banjos and small objects, low production, occasional use. Would like to have a variable speed motor, so after spraying can have the fan run slowly to vent fumes as the lacquer dries.

Wondering if I should use a dc motor instead of 3ph w/ vfd, as dc seems happier at much lower speeds. I already have some dc controllers, as well as a vfd. Are dc motors with brushes a fire hazard even tho motor is isolated from booth air flow?

Also thought of piggy-backing a smaller motor to the drive train, with small pulley for just venting fumes. Motor would go for a high speed ride during spraying, is that a crazy idea?

Picked up a nice little 4' x 4' Devilbiss spray booth, has the usual tube axial fan with 1/2hp 110v motor. Will be used for spraying lacquer on banjos and small objects, low production, occasional use. Would like to have a variable speed motor, so after spraying can have the fan run slowly to vent fumes as the lacquer dries.

Wondering if I should use a dc motor instead of 3ph w/ vfd, as dc seems happier at much lower speeds. I already have some dc controllers, as well as a vfd. Are dc motors with brushes a fire hazard even tho motor is isolated from booth air flow?

Also thought of piggy-backing a smaller motor to the drive train, with small pulley for just venting fumes. Motor would go for a high speed ride during spraying, is that a crazy idea?

Use the existing motor, damper to slow down flow.

Paint booths are covered under hazardous locations within the code. Depending on the location of the motor, it may be situated within a Class 1, Div 2 or Class 1, Div 1 hazardous location. Your installation may require an explosionproof motor and wiring method. Rigid metal conduit with at least five threads engaged, explosionproof flex and 'Chico' seal-offs are typical.

Consider one belt drive fan with two drive pulleys driven form two separate motors. run only one motor at a time for two speeds.
Bill D

Picked up a nice little 4' x 4' Devilbiss spray booth, ...

Do not use a brushed motor, unless it is rated as explosion-proof, even if this is not for a business.

If this is for use in a business, than there are multiple probably code and/or OSHA regulations to be followed, as Sparky mentioned. I have a friend who was manufacturing electric guitars some years back, and the spray booth was a very big deal, both to avoid explosions, and to avoid inhalation of paint mist/dust - would this disease be called "rainbow lung"? With glitter?

Anyway, it was booth plus full mask.

To put this in perspective, I'm "semi-retired", working alone, only spraying 3 or 4 banjos a year, with a tiny Sata minijet gun. Pretty far under the radar, but I want to stay safe as I can.

Joe - point taken about brushed motors, I suspected they would be a bad choice.

Bill D - I like the idea of two motors on the fan.

The auxiliary motor for low fan speed would have a much higher(?) drive ratio, which would mean that at higher fan speed it would be turning a lot faster than nameplate rpm. Assuming a 1750 motor, how fast can it spin without frying bearings, or causing some sort of electrical problem?

You could use the fan to blow clean air into the booth with the exhaust exiting through a duct with no elctrical stuff in the airstream out.
Bill D

You could use the fan to blow clean air into the booth with the exhaust exiting through a duct with no elctrical stuff in the airstream out.
Bill D

This typically results in somewhat forceful air currents in spots, not conducive to painting. Pulling through filters with good surface area tends to slow and even out the flow.

Also FWIW every spray booth I've ever seen has been fitted with either a wet fire sprinkler system or a stored pressure fire suppression system.

Also worth noting every spray booth I've ever seen has been fitted with either a wet fire sprinkler system or a stored pressure fire suppression system.

Yup...because even belts spark...
Simply install booth as designed, damper down output (or input if easier to enable)
for less flow.

Yup...because even belts spark...
Simply install booth as designed, damper down output (or input if easier to enable)
for less flow.

This^^^. The damper will limit the air flow and less electricity will be used as well. Simple. Get a fire suppression system of some sort. And never scrape out lacquer overspray with steel tools of any type.

Back