What's new
What's new

Vendor recommendation for custom o-ring'ish seals?

kb0thn

Stainless
Hi Guys,

Any recommendations for a custom silicone rubber seal manufacturer? Low volume parts. Cylindrical profile, typically 0.060" diameter, but weird shapes. 70A silicone is a typical material. Quantities are typically about 50 to 200 a year. I expect to pay for tooling. These tools used to be a couple hundred to a thousand dollars or so.

<rant>We've been using Apple Rubber in New York since about 2011. But prices have gone way up every time we ordered. And they are quite hard to actually purchase from. Multiple days and many e-mails before they will respond to a PO or RFQ. And then they spend another week or two before they come back and say the parts have gone up some non-negligible amount in price. The issue today is that I need some parts for a hot job and they won't accept my PO for a part they have been running since 2011 without getting another copy of the print. My engineer that designed that hasn't worked here for 5 years and never had the print in our documentation system. So I got spend 2 hours going to backups to find the print. Not what I need to be doing. The upshot, which I pointed out to Apple Rubber, is that I know have the prints on hand and can start sending out RFQ's to other vendors.</rant>

Thanks,

-Jim

IMG_3358.jpg

When I saw the title of the thread Apple came to mind.

That your having trouble with Apple is not much of a surprise, everytime I've bought from them it's like pulling teeth. The salesman I deal with almost can't be bothered to try and take an order. We use them because of the wide range of non-standard sizes they offer.

That your having trouble with Apple is not much of a surprise, everytime I've bought from them it's like pulling teeth. The salesman I deal with almost can't be bothered to try and take an order.

Exactly! I finally got a two sentence e-mail that they accepted the order and will ship parts two weeks after my required by date. Have close to 3 hours of my time trying to buy those things. In comparison I managed to buy about $25k of custom parts from 14 different vendors in the same time on Monday.

The salesman must be related to the owner...

-Jim

Back