What's new
What's new

Vernier Caliper Magnifier

mjk

Titanium
Used to have a clip on magnifier for a vernier years ago.
Have a use for one now but can't seem to find one or the right search words.
Any suggestions who makes one?

Funny how this and other sports wer for younguns and now all of the suddon a bunch of grey hair old bastards are dooooing it.
Please pass that there magnifier, son!

Just get a digital mitutoyo 300mm long one the screen is big enough to easily see it, can use inch or mm just press a button to do so. lol that may be in fine print.
but i think on button versus conversion button was a different colour so you should be good once you get used to it.

headband magnifier most use instead and put where it wont get lost.
also bifocal and trifocal safety glasses are good too, with trifocal safety glasses there is no looking for magnifier as your always wearing it and just tilt head to see as well as you want. after ahwile your dont even think about it until you cant find the trifocal safety glasses like if you left them at home

Me, I have to hold the calipers close to my nose and look over the top of my glasses, even though they are bifocals. As for digitals, if it was only that easy. The 6 inchers, no problem. But its the 24 and 40 inchers that I use once or twice a year that are hard to read.

No help on a good magnifier. Mine came from an old layout man 40 years ago, when I didn't need or appreciate it. Now I'm glad I kept it around.

I'll look into the flip ups for glasses

The calipers in question are 18,24 and 36" Kanon's that are in pristine condition that only get used a few times a year.
Can't justify replacing with dial or digital.

I have "head gear" but try not to use them when I'm on a machine.

Ironic I can't find any reference to a "new" clip on as verniers are still made new

Funny how this and other sports wer for younguns and now all of the suddon a bunch of grey hair old bastards are dooooing it.
Please pass that there magnifier, son!

I have quite a few 5x loupes scattered about these days. One of them in the office desk as I sometimes need them to look at drawings on regular sized paper. I need better lighting also the same desk with the eye loupe in the drawer has a lamp sitting on it.

I included a link to some "flip-up" magnifiers in my first post but after I thought about it they might make things smaller used upside down. If so, you might be able to remove/reverse the lens?

As much as I hate to admit it I own a pair of 14 inch verniers for some reason and tried it out. It does work, but to make a real solution you either need to find a pair of clip ons with a wire clip so they can be adjusted or fab a little bracket that maybe slides onto the thumbscrews and makes it functional. The plastic frame on my current ones won't spread enough to hold on the vernier slide.

The magnification does enough that with my regular readers it goes from 'wha's that say' to yup, that's 3.209.
Without my readers I couldn't tell you there are lines on the vernier...
AS I posted this, I said, hey didn't my old magnifiers have a metal frame, and don't I save everything?

vernier.jpg

tape is cause busted
tape is just holding the lens to the broken plastic piece that attaches to the wire piece.

slides up and down easily with vernier.

probably would put tape or heatshrink on the ends if you love your calipers

getting a bunch of the typical tits on a boar hog replies.

with the digital so affordable in the range used by most people.
the reason you are having a hard time finding anything is they
probably stopped making it.

I mounted one of those lighted magnifiers on my lathe.
maybe look at jeweler or watch maker stuff.
maybe adapt a book magnifier.
map magnifier try a search for that

May not work for OP’s request, but I’m using my phone’s camera way more than I should admit and blowing up the pics to see small details. Perhaps I should see the eye doc again...

L7

May not work for OP’s request, but I’m using my phone’s camera way more than I should admit and blowing up the pics to see small details.

I recently started doing that as well. Now I do it several times a day. It really comes in handy.

Back