What's new
What's new

Verti-vise

johnny mack

Plastic
May be someone on this forum could educate me on what a vertical milling vise is typically used for? There is one up on Ebay that appears massive and at a reasonable price but for the life of me I can't think of any special need for one ....... thanks

It's not unusual to need to stand a part up and work on the ends- tapped holes, etc. Also would be handy when you have to hang the part off the edge of the table.

You can do the same thing with angle plates or other methods- that base of that vise is keyed so getting it squared up would be a lot faster than mounting a vise on an angle plate.

But if you can't think of a use for one, you probably don't have a use for one...

It is used when work must be oriented vertically and the jaws of a Kurt are not deep enough. My solution was to buy a Kurt clone"CNC" vise. I stand it on its edge and clamp it to the table.

Just did a quick look at ebay and didn't see any "massive" vertical vises. Did see several Indian ones that look like they were designed for mounting on a lathe's cross slide to make a pseudo mill.

L7

Thanks, jancollc. That vise didn't show up on my ebay search. Probably as I live in Canada and the seller refuses to sell to Canadians... Interesting vise, and I've never seen that type before.

L7

...My solution was to buy a Kurt clone"CNC" vise. I stand it on its edge and clamp it to the table...

Yeah, I've got a Kurt "Versatile Lock" 3600V that I use that way from time to time. I made some taller jaws
for it so I can hold some larger parts. Very handy...

Attachments

• kurt3600v.jpg
    kurt3600v.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 113
Ebay item looks like mine, which is ideal for my 12" vertical shaper - though much too heavy to pick up for an old wimp boy:D

Attachments

• P1000337sm.jpg
    P1000337sm.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 211
Sure looks like a decent vise for tall parts.. If living close enough to pick it up so saving the big shipping charge it would be a good find.

QT:[ I can't think of any special need for one ] Working on a tall part or a wide part standing on a side.
Plus if I owned it I would make a set of V jaws So it would hold a tall round part.

Thanks for the quick response guys. Now that it was explained to me, I wouldn't be able use it that often. Besides I don't think I could lift it onto my mill table.....Johnny Mack

I have one that size and one about half that size. Before the CNC type flat sided vises came out there wasn't much alternative for holding vertical work without a lot of rigging

The auction seems to be missing all of the jaw inserts - they are pieces of various lengths that have pins that fit into the holes visible in the jaws to adjust the height of the work. They're about an inch square and all lengths varying by half an inch or so.

What keeps the moving jaw from lifting?? I will second a Kurt 3600 as being the be all end all for a 6" vise, for precision work holding at least.

What keeps the moving jaw from lifting?? I will second a Kurt 3600 as being the be all end all for a 6" vise, for precision work holding at least.

Nothing except the long engagement of the jaw to the body. These were built long before Kurt type vises appeared. For most vertical setups it doesn't matter much except for reduced clamping effect on flat/square parts.

The auction seems to be missing all of the jaw inserts - they are pieces of various lengths that have pins that fit into the holes visible in the jaws to adjust the height of the work. They're about an inch square and all lengths varying by half an inch or so.

Most I have seen resold are missing them. One of mine came in a nice deep drawn aluminum case worthy of a camera case with all the goodies including a lifting handle. The handle was a rod that fitted into two of those 1/4" holes and had a small wood handle attached to that rod by lengths of small chain.

Back