Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    What sheet size are you starting out with ?
    2' x 4'

Thanks for all the comments, I've learned a lot. A sled definitely makes a table saw less scary and more productive, but in the end I'm still going to go with a vertical band saw. Space considerations, plus the band saw will be able to be used for more than just cutting plastic blanks, where I'd never have another use for a table saw. That, plus the fact that any cutting that Boedeker does that isn't on their CNC plate saw, is done on band saws.

If I move forward with this, I'll buy the Baileigh 12". It's small but still 200lbs and I've always heard good things about the brand.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    We machine a lot of Ultem 1000, Acetal, etc. We normally get our blanks pre cut from Boedeker, and that's worked very well for years. Now that we're seeing some supply issues with plastics, it's time to look in to buying bulk plate and cutting the blanks in house.
    My local plastic supply house wants $375 for a 2'x2'x1.25" sheet of acetal, and another $250 to cut (9) 7.55"x7.55" squares from the material.

Mcmaster has the same material for $380, a $29.99 circular saw and 20 minutes work I had all the pieces cut.

I use a neighbours vertical bandsaw to cut 1/2" and 3/4" wide strips from 2'x4' sheets of Acetal I get from Mcmaster. Again a huge cost savings compared to getting the Supply house to cut the material.

----------------------------------------------------------

I can will call the sheets from Mcmaster, and have material cut within an hour or two of picking it up, whereas the local plastic supply house I use takes 2-5 days to cut the material. So if I get a quick turmaround order I can fulfill the order quickly.

----------------------------------------------------------