Very OT but relates to us all= privacy and advertising - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well at least two people here opened the e-mail and that's a start.

2. Likes motion guru, TeachMePlease, mTeryk liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    People sign up for facebook or gmail and complain about privacy. Really....you want to be connected to the world for free but you don't want to be seen or know?
    The other side of that is how effective google has been at pushing their own agenda, so that you can't retain your own privacy.

They managed to scare everyone away from any non-commercial mail servers with the spam scare. If you try to run a small mail server even with all the i's dotted and t's crossed, you will find that many if not all network administrators block you. Running your own mail server these days would require getting onto every white list in the US.

"Unsecured mail servers" were never the source of spam, it was commercial enterprises like AT&T and Pacbell who didn't give a shit. Stopping spam without resorting to gmail would be simple but we never had that choice.

The other one they have done recently is the stoopid fixation on https. This just killed a bazillion older browsers and operating systems. Why ? So that other people could not replace google ads with their own ads. It has NOTHING to do with "security".

Google sucks balls. Those bastards should be sent for reeducation in some coal mine somewhere.

Of note most of these people are older in years.
    Yes, because we actually know what privacy is and give it some value. Younger people have never known it.

They will grow to regret this

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

" Younger people have never known it. "

Translation: You Kids Get Off My Lawn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CalG View Post
    What did you just say? Speak in sentences that make sense.
    I think my friend (and kin, apparently!) thermite has taken the Joyceian philosophy to heart: "If they want to understand my writing, they'll have to spend a lifetime studying it". I find that, given enough time, I can parse a sentence or two. Depends upon whether you find the results worth it. Sometimes there's a gem in their.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You sign up to be instantly connected to the world and are surprised the world is instantly connected to you.
    What part of this makes no sense?
    I doubt many here have run their own mail servers in the earlier days and for sure Google has done a lot to protect their turf but I don't see them as evil.
    They have made things simple and easier for the masses. 99.99% of users have no idea how the "net" works.
    Bob

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Saskatchewan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thermite was referring to the windows Hosts file. That is a term you can google and find out where it is buried deep in your windows/system32/drivers/etc folder, and the 'etc' is literally the name of the folder. The Hosts file is in there.

There are sites out on the internet where you can download a hosts file that is full of blacklisted advertising sites. You simply replace your hosts file with the new one. Or you can open it up and see what the trick is to DIY.

Windows might make you jump through a couple of hoops in order to actually do the replacement successfully, or it will restore your default hosts file, which is nearly empty to begin with. Google that procedure as well.

It is a great thing to do to clean up your browser experience. I actually got functionality back in a couple of old WinRT tablets after replacing the hosts file because there was so much goddamn stuff being loaded, the browser could never get to the 'finish' of loading a single web page because of all the crap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I find myself wondering what the Alexa does about what it hears from the TV. Endless loop of junk mail?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by HuFlungDung View Post
    Thermite was referring to the windows Hosts file.
    Windows has "files", now?

Slippery slope, that.

Next thing you know, they'll need a file SYSTEM to store and manage those.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    I find myself wondering what the Alexa does about what it hears from the TV. Endless loop of junk mail?
    Nope, it recognizes what you are watching, and suggests other things like that. Also puts targeted ads on your TV.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post
    Translation: You Kids Get Off My Lawn.
    I don't have a lawn

But I am amazed that people will happily put nekkid photos of themselves enjoying the neighbor's dog in "the cloud" .... lemme tell ya, no one I know is dumb enough to do that.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    I don't have a lawn

But I am amazed that people will happily put nekkid photos of themselves enjoying the neighbor's dog in "the cloud" .... lemme tell ya, no one I know is dumb enough to do that.
    Hopefully.... what you REALLY mean.. is that you are simply UNAWARE.. if they are.

I, mean.. just think about that.

Those who get caught-out at such insanities are in the news because.. they are "good neighbours", co-workers, leaders, officials, churchmen, teachers, politicians - other very public figures more often than they are reclusive hermits.

Humans...

I remember Commanding Officer, 277th S&S Bn grumbling at his assembled Company Commanders that the VD rate was too damned high.

"Somebody needs to teach these men how to MASTURBATE!"

Only response - besides some astonished "looks" - was from one very seniour reserve Captain:

"I'm afraid that's above my current rank and pay-grade, Colonel."

13. Likes lucky7 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossthread View Post
    Thermite knows that's how we talk down here in Virginia. Just throw a bunch of shit out there to hide your trail and let other folks sort it out.

Truly, he is a legend in his own mind.

15. Likes morsetaper2, SIP6A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    You serious? The parasites don't feed their adverts & malice through the site you are visiting.

YOUR browser is handed URI's that expect it to set-up a new link, via fewer "hops". No effect on the b/w, for example PM pays for. Your uplink bandwidth is belaboured via some OTHER route that goes live.

Unless, of course, your system never makes that initial contact to begin with.

When a local DNS maps the lot of them to 127.0.0.1? No traffic at all [1] traverses your bandwidth. Nothng to track, Nothing for No Such Agency to capture, either. It nevah' hoppin'.

With 80% to 90% of the traffic never undertaken, one not only avoids the parasitic annoyances.. everything else you INTENDED to do runs faster, and over less-costly bandwidth.

NB:

Highly effective:

- local "blackhole" DNS + privoxy implementing algorithms so the traffic never reaches off-box is the way to win.

Much less effective:

- Adblockers that work with a browser. Those are "too little, too late" - already eating memory, burning CPU cycles, and clogging paid-for b/w to anal-ize .. then not display (and hopefully not continue).

Waaay less efficient, not nearly as effective as "just don't even START" can be.

Bill

[1] helps to insure your resolver looks FIRST at /etc/hosts, AND NOT at off-box DNS.

Be it ever so humble, there's no place like 127.0.0.1?

Duckduckgo seems to create considerably less ad traffic than Google.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post

If you run a Mackletosh, Little Snitch does this but has a pretty clean interface. Very much worth the $30. I am kinda sooprised there is nothing like that for Windows.
    That's exactly what I have installed. I've the tech knowledge to do it Bill's way, just not the incentive when Little Snitch works well & is cheap.

PDW

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In "Weapons and Hope" Freeman Dyson addresses the inspection and reporting problem. The gist of his stand is that everyone breaks a law sometime or other, so surveillance should not be perfect. We had an example of that recently when several cities around here installed yellow light cameras. Anyone who did not cross a line before the light turned red got a ticket. People recognize the need for traffic control, but this was too much of a good thing. Everyone objected and most didn't show up in court.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 9100 View Post
    In "Weapons and Hope" Freeman Dyson addresses the inspection and reporting problem. The gist of his stand is that everyone breaks a law sometime or other, so surveillance should not be perfect. We had an example of that recently when several cities around here installed yellow light cameras. Anyone who did not cross a line before the light turned red got a ticket. People recognize the need for traffic control, but this was too much of a good thing. Everyone objected and most didn't show up in court.

Bill
    Wait - you're saying that people cross the line on a red light, yes? And that they think this is OK?

Strongly disagree. We have red light cameras and I'd far rather there were more of them than speed cameras on straight roads. The idiot running a red light might T-bone me.

PDW

20. Likes monoblanco liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well they probably only ran a yellow but did not clear the exit of the intersection before the red.
    I've been pulled over for it on light that had what I would call a fast yellow.
    Still it seems reasonable.
    If you did not show up or pay, that seems flagrant so those should not be allowed to drive anymore.
    I've gotten tickets that I felt were oh-so wrong but I showed up and paid if my argument was not good enough for the court.
    If you break the rules how can the fact that everyone breaks rules once in while be a defense or justification?
    It's a traffic ticket not a life sentence. Owe up to doing wrong and do not complain about too much enforcement.
    9100's post points to a moral standard that I do not understand and we should not pass onto the new generations.
    Bob

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
    Be it ever so humble, there's no place like 127.0.0.1?
    It's surely "humble" when it comes to low resource load, yes.

Duckduckgo seems to create considerably less ad traffic than Google.
    Started with "Altavista", still use yahoo quite often, plus a few other search-engines, (Quant, Bling) - but only very rarely.

That said, those others don't often turn up as much - nor necessarily as relevant - as Go Ogle does.

Mind - with as much of Imperial Google blocked as I have?

A) most of even THEIR parasitic ad stream shows in the first page of returns.

B) nearly ALL of those are blocked if I forget meself and click on one, simply because the listing shows - for example, a Home Depot or similar vendor's URI, but the rest of the actual link directs through a click-capture parasite referrer. Nearly all of which are blocked by Privoxy if not already blackholed in the local DNS file.

I've carried that file with me across several OS'en and MANY hardware workstations, BTW.

The first entry was "doubleclick", second half of the 1990's, so it doesn't need all that many new entries each passing year.

Most of the recent ones are "anybody at all" that hits me with sound and video - the worst wasters of my paid-for bandwidth - as were not specifically asked for.

In my view, unsolicited "push" advertising should be classed as a felony. Theft. Of time and bandwidth we - not "they" - PAY for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well they probably only ran a yellow but did not clear the exit of the intersection before the red.
    I've been pulled over for it on light that had what I would call a fast yellow.
    Still it seems reasonable.
    If you did not show up or pay, that seems flagrant so those should not be allowed to drive anymore.
    I've gotten tickets that I felt were oh-so wrong but I showed up and paid if my argument was not good enough for the court.
    If you break the rules how can the fact that everyone breaks rules once in while be a defense or justification?
    It's a traffic ticket not a life sentence. Owe up to doing wrong and do not complain about too much enforcement.
    9100's post points to a moral standard that I do not understand and we should not pass onto the new generations.
    Bob
    Chicago had a "situation" in which the yellow light time interval was reduced at the signals that had the red light cameras installed. Turns out that there was a financial incentive for both the city and the red light camera contractor as they both split the "profits".

The "situation" boarded on a major scandal ending with many of the cameras being removed. I think it was the threat of a pending class action law suit against the city was the deciding factor.

I have no problem with red light camera technology to catch red light cheaters but I have a serious problem when an outside contractor owns the cameras, changes the light timing, collects the fines, and splits the fines with the municipality.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oklahoma
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The net, cell phones and instant connectivity brought us many things.
    Privacy went out the window when we decided to use these things.
    Even if all thermite says makes sense to you it's almost impossible to stay "private" if you use any on these devices.

Since these things are global by nature I'm not sure "legislation with teeth" in any country can control it.
    Advertising in your newspaper is gone with all this targeted stuff now.
    I did not mind lots of ads in newspaper or magazines, don't mind them on web pages.
    With all the traffic out there it's sort of amazing how fast people can push ads. Imagine just how much data is being sorted and mined.

No one forces you to have these devices or use these services.
    Perhaps all should come with a big warning tag:"Danger, the whole world can see you once you turn this on".
    You hit the power on button and decided not to be private.
    People sign up for facebook or gmail and complain about privacy. Really....you want to be connected to the world for free but you don't want to be seen or know?

I find the capability and speed of these services rather admirable in scope and speed just from the number of ones and zeros processed.
    If your refrigerator hears that you are going to buy dog food ads may appear on your other devices.
    How did my refrigerator give out my cell phone number? It did not, you did.

People come to me with there mind blown over how this can happen and should not be allowed. Some extremely upset.
    Of note most of these people are older in years.
    Bob
    My wife bought a Samsung stove about six months ago. I just looked for a model number on the front but don't see one.

Like the day after it was hooked up the stove started sending texts to my wife's cell phone asking her for the WiFi password. She swears she never told the stove her cell phone number. I named the stove ET since it wants to phone home.

I considered sending my wife some texts from a friends phone telling her "This is the stove. You will be assimilated." but thought better of it. I would have probably been buying a different stove.
    Last edited by UncleFrank; 07-01-2019 at 05:02 AM. Reason: Whole txt I thot about sendinig.

25. Likes TeachMePlease liked this post