What's new
What's new

Degree symbol--how?

Bluechipx

Hot Rolled
Whenever I call out a degree number I am forced to spell out 'degrees' after the number. I have seen posters that are able to actually make the tiny 'o' signifing degrees after the number but I have searched my keyboard in vain looking for it. How on earth do I do it???

On Windows, hold down Alt and hit 0176 on the number pad. On iOS hold on the zero and you get a submenu with the degree symbol. Mac is supposedly option-shift-8.

degree is Alt key + 0176............... 90°
diameter is Alt + 0216.....................2"Ø
cent is Alt + 0162 ....................50¢

I use a desktop PC, so I use:
ALT+248 as degree °
ALT+241 as plus/minus ±
ALT+0216 as diameter Ø
I also have an employee with an accented name, has an é in it, which is ALT+130

On a Windows machine hold down the ALT key while typing 248 on the numeric keypad. When you release the ALT key the symbol should appear.

OOPS. Looks like a previous poster beat me to it.

And if all else fails, just go find one somewhere else and copy-paste it. The good thing there is that it works on almost any device with any symbol or alphanumeric character.

EDIT: on an iphone, holding down the zero makes a ° alternative pop up. Holding down letter keys presents alternative letters & accents

Good to have the num lock light on when using alt symbols

turn on num lock
Press/hold the alt key
run numbers perhaps 0176
the symbol appears ° when you release the alt key.

try alt and number one, and two. ☺ ☻ then highlight and change size.

Download and print the Windows Alternate Character Set table and keep it handy on a clipboard near your computer as a cheat sheet. You need a keyboard with a right-side number keypad and a NUM LOCK key. Once NUM LOCK is on, just leave it and it will allow the alternate character set to be entered by holding down the ALT key and typing the two, three or four numbers from the table.

I use it a lot for foreign business correspondence. It has the principal currency symbols like €, £, and ¥, and all the math symbols. For PM, ° and Ø are useful.

As an alternative to typing the numeric code on Windows, you can launch the Microsoft-provided "Character Map" app. You'll probably find it in System Accessories or some similar start menu folder. (It will be different on Windows 7, 8, and 10, so I'm just going to leave it at that.) This will show you all the available characters. You can then click on whatever you like and copy it for pasting elsewhere, like in a forum posting.

Back