What's new
What's new

Vibratory Finisher suggestions

Duc

Aluminum
Looking for some input on finding a enclosed vibratory finisher for the shop for deburring Aluminum and sometimes steel parts that are coming off the Fadal mill. Space is a little tight in the 3 car garage for large units but 2.5-3.5 Cu ft units should fit in the spot I have picked out. Prefer a tub versus a round units to fit larger parts. Ebay is a little short on units plus not sure I want someone elses headache.

Machine specs
110v or 3 phase 208
2.5 - 3.5 Cu ft
Tub based and not round
Budget $5,000 with shipping.
enclosed for sound reasons

So far I have found the following units that fit the bill. Buddy owns a advancefinishing machine which seems to work well. Any others that I should consider?

Advancefinishing
AFT-3
NEW AFT-3 Portavibe Vibratory Tub Finisher – Advanced Finishing Technologies

Kalamazoo KVF3
Kalamazoo KVF3 Vibratory Finisher - Penn Tool Co., Inc

Quite a few people here (myself included) use one of these:

Mr. Deburr 300DB (3 Cubic Foot)

– C&M Topline

I did take a look at those units but I'm will to pay little more for a unit to save my hearing. I spent 8 years in different factories listening to vibratory tumblers and not sure I want to have that level of noise again. We used to buy covers for the round tubs to reduce the dB noise alot. Huge difference when my buddy leaves his open versus closed.

Also requested additional quotes

Giant finishing W3
Giant Finishing - Wedge Series - Vibratory Finishers | Giant Finishing, Inc.

Ultramatic P3 SE
Vibratory Tub P Series * UltraMatic Equipment

I have a KVF3 and it is a decent machine. I've been meaning to do a video on it because the information available is basically a spec sheet and one or two dark cell phone videos of it running with some media without any real.

I will say I have not found settling of tumbler waste water to be a reliable method of separation or disposal. I use flocculant made for waste water treatment and it does a great job, water is clear and solids are easily dried for solid waste disposal.

One point to keep in mind, is if you have a tub with any straight sides, like the CM, or a Royson among others, certain parts will suction-stick to the flat walls. A round tub with internal radii usually does not have that problem.

What is flocculant??
I will say I have not found settling of tumbler waste water to be a reliable method of separation or disposal. I use flocculant made for waste water treatment and it does a great job, water is clear and solids are easily dried for solid waste disposal.

One point to keep in mind, is if you have a tub with any straight sides, like the CM, or a Royson among others, certain parts will suction-stick to the flat walls. A round tub with internal radii usually does not have that problem.

What is flocculant??

It is normally made from polymerized bentonite clay. It looks like kitty litter but it grabs suspended particles in water and makes them clump together for dewatering.. Normally a couple cups of powder will clear a 20+ gallons of heavily soiled tumbler water. The sledge can be filtered with common filter bags and then dried to solid waste.. We do it to reuse the water on large batches.

When tumbling steel parts with ceramic media the dust in the media is normally .1 microns or smaller

I did a video last year with my old tumbler before I upgraded. waste water system is about the same.. Video was just a quick one shot with a handheld cell phone, so it's very rough.
Vibratory tumbler for small shops.. - YouTube

11:40-14:00 is roughly the spot showing the stuff being used.

Some tumbler media and materials do fall out of solution very easy. But the stuff I use does not settle significantly in two weeks, but it starts rotting in about three days, so if you let it sit around long enough to settle it will smell like a barrel of rotten fish. So I spend the 50 cents to $1.50 a batch and process the water.

So I was poking around my folders of video files and found a few video clips we made when we upgraded to the Kalamazoo tumbler that I never finished.
Brand new $4200 tumbler and first thing we did was rip off all the access panels to see what made it tick. Pretty interesting build differences compared with the hobbyist grade machine.. Video is from back in December and I just sold the Shoptuff to a knife maker for $300 a couple days ago. The KVF3 is still working great, no maintenance issues yet, I have been meaning to get a spare belt, pulleys, and bearing blocks ordered just because the nature of the machine is self destructive.
The KVF3 sounds the same as at the end, it's just the usual gross coating of tumbler slime.

I have 2 of the CM machines and as a result of moving into a shop one size too small we thought we could run them in the garage for a while. I turned one on and went inside to use the restroom, ran straight back out and shut it off as I am certain from the shaking of the wassl the sheetrock would fall off the studs in no time, we made a plan B and moved them to an outbuilding.

I have a KVF3 and it is a decent machine. I've been meaning to do a video on it because the information available is basically a spec sheet and one or two dark cell phone videos of it running with some media without any real.

So I was poking around my folders of video files and found a few video clips we made when we upgraded to the Kalamazoo tumbler that I never finished.
Brand new $4200 tumbler and first thing we did was rip off all the access panels to see what made it tick. Pretty interesting build differences compared with the hobbyist grade machine.. Video is from back in December and I just sold the Shoptuff to a knife maker for $300 a couple days ago. The KVF3 is still working great, no maintenance issues yet, I have been meaning to get a spare belt, pulleys, and bearing blocks ordered just because the nature of the machine is self destructive.
The KVF3 sounds the same as at the end, it's just the usual gross coating of tumbler slime.

The kalamazoo and the advance finishing are probably pretty close to the same machine.

I have 2 of the CM machines and as a result of moving into a shop one size too small we thought we could run them in the garage for a while. I turned one on and went inside to use the restroom, ran straight back out and shut it off as I am certain from the shaking of the wassl the sheetrock would fall off the studs in no time, we made a plan B and moved them to an outbuilding.

One of the main reasons I was looking for a enclosed machine versus the CM machines. Even in the video by csspec, you can tell the difference in the sound levels.

In the end I went with the Advance Finishing setup due to price and my buddy has had the same one for years with no issues. The sales guy gave a 15% discount for buying the unit from the R&D lab that probably runs 5hrs/week but who knows about that number. Either way I received a 1 year warranty, gallon sample of cleaning solution and order 150 lbs of media for the machine.

$3,556 Machine AFT-3
$369 Plastic 3/4 TET media AFAC 3/4″ Tetrahedron (50lbs) – Advanced Finishing Technologies
$0 1 gallon sample of cleaning compound AF100 (5 Gallons) – Advanced Finishing Technologies
$692 Shipping to residential with a drop gate
Total ~$4600

Should be a good machine for deburring mostly Aluminum parts and a few steel parts when I change the media out.

The kalamazoo and the advance finishing are probably pretty close to the same machine.

One of the main reasons I was looking for a enclosed machine versus the CM machines. Even in the video by csspec, you can tell the difference in the sound levels.

In the end I went with the Advance Finishing setup due to price and my buddy has had the same one for years with no issues. The sales guy gave a 15% discount for buying the unit from the R&D lab that probably runs 5hrs/week but who knows about that number. Either way I received a 1 year warranty, gallon sample of cleaning solution and order 150 lbs of media for the machine.

$3,556 Machine AFT-3
$369 Plastic 3/4 TET media AFAC 3/4″ Tetrahedron (50lbs) – Advanced Finishing Technologies
$0 1 gallon sample of cleaning compound AF100 (5 Gallons) – Advanced Finishing Technologies
$692 Shipping to residential with a drop gate
Total ~$4600

Should be a good machine for deburring mostly Aluminum parts and a few steel parts when I change the media out.

I would almost bet they are the same machine. Not uncommon for two companies to sell the same machine with different branding.
I paid full list price of $4200 for mine, I bought from a local dealer 40 minutes away that had them in stock and they loaded to my truck.

I have a C&M 300 in my garage. It's bolted to the concrete with anchors and has the flap lid on it. I don't think it's obnoxiously loud and can't even hear it in the house.

I have a C&M 300 in my garage. It's bolted to the concrete with anchors and has the flap lid on it. I don't think it's obnoxiously loud and can't even hear it in the house.

Same here have one at the shop inside, its not that loud, hell the cat sleeps next to it and plays with it. yeah its running.
IMG_1196.jpg

I would almost bet they are the same machine. Not uncommon for two companies to sell the same machine with different branding.
I paid full list price of $4200 for mine, I bought from a local dealer 40 minutes away that had them in stock and they loaded to my truck.

Same here have one at the shop inside, its not that loud, hell the cat sleeps next to it and plays with it. yeah its running.
View attachment 295119

Due to shop size I needed something on wheels. I had to downgrade to a 3 car garage versus the 30x40 shop I had due to moving states for a new job. Wish I could trust our cat in the garage but she would be into everything.

Pretty much looks exactly the same inside. Looking forward to machine deburring some small parts I have coming up instead of hand deburring. Funny the dam thing was almost the price I paid for my fadal 4020 and that at least came with 50 tool holders and 2 vises.

Inside.jpg

Back