What's new
What's new

Vibratory Tumbling Advice

gmc1724

Aluminum
Hi, I have 100's of small 316 stainless parts that I've tumbled to de-burr some sharp edges. The tumbling process has worked fine but there is a grey residue left on the parts that the customer has commented on, does anyone know of a cleaning process I could use to remove this.

I do mostly aluminum

Use the soap they sell for this purpose

rinse immediately upon removal from tumbler, like move the tumbler next to the sink

then clean as normal

Once dry it is a bitch to get off.

does your tubmler have a drain and constant running water? if not thats part of your problem.
The soap works best, if not a good floor cleaner/ degreaser will work on ss. Ive used minerial spirits before in the tumbler before when I had no drains and no constant water to clean the grey off.
but then you have to soak then in acetone or alcohol to get the mineral spirits off.

we use ultrasonic cleaner with alcohol now if we have greying problems

Dish soap is just as good as the stuff specifically for tumbling IME. If you have recirculating water then make sure you filter it some, if not then rinse the parts off in the tumbler with fresh water before removing the parts, then a soapy water wash and rinse after. Do not let them even start to dry until clean.

As soon as you pull them from the tumbler put them in a bucket of water and rinse them off.
Also putting in a drop of dish soap helped out a lot with the film.

Hi, I have 100's of small 316 stainless parts that I've tumbled to de-burr some sharp edges. The tumbling process has worked fine but there is a grey residue left on the parts that the customer has commented on, does anyone know of a cleaning process I could use to remove this.

It sounds like you are not using a vibratory finishing compound (soap). If you wash your laundry, body, car, whatever without soap the results will not be good.

Just have a tub of fresh water right by the tumbler. I have run a ton of stainless through mine and even with soap and water flow it still has some residue. As has been said, don't even let them start to dry or you will be scrubbing each one. Pull em out and dunk em in the water.

Other than using the soap which will help a lot, after the final tumble there is a corn cob media that you tumble in a dry drum and that will give the parts an extra shine.

Vibratory finishing chemicals for component polishing and deburringSharmic Engineering Ltd

I am using SX-IL/XI for mild steel, and deburring stainless, steel this one is soapy.

SX90L for stainless steel polishing, this one foams up and gives stainless steel a shine.

Corncob to dry and this will make it shine a little more.

They send out samples which are about 1 litre bottles.

Other than using the soap which will help a lot, after the final tumble there is a corn cob media that you tumble in a dry drum and that will give the parts an extra shine.

I’ve also added a tin of Brasso to corncob, but eventually you end up with a dust in the bottom of the trough as the Brasso dries up.

I would first propose if you could use a flow-through compound dosing system. It makes the surface better.
Also, I would suggest ultrasonic cleaner machine
You can also spray cleaning the parts as soon as it takes out from the vibratory tumbler

Back