What's new
What's new

Vice Riser or long Endmill / Collet holder for milling

Drivesaslayer

Plastic
Good Afternoon all.
I have a 3 in 1 machine (Lathe, mill, drill) like the Bolton tools BT500, as such there is a large distance between the milling table and quill. I understand the limits of this machine so we do not need to spend any time on that. I have gotten some 2" stainless rod, 304 I think, and I am thinking of making either risers to install under the vise to raise the vise up by 3" (bringing the work closer to the spindle), or a long R8 - Collet holder that has a reach of 3" to get the tool closer to the table.

Which do you think would be better (better defined and more rigid and more versatile) to build and why?

Thank you for the input.

There are other fourms that would be better for a question about a machine like that. That said I would get a ER32 or ER20 collet holder with a .75 straight shank and put that in a 3/4 R8 collet to get your extra length.

It's likely more rigid to install a riser block under the vise. If a compound angle stage is present, it's best to remove that too, and mount directly to the cross slide. Swivel the vise if you need to put angular cuts on the workpiece.

BTW, and not to be rude, these types machine are usually not part of the discussion topic on this forum. You'll get better support on forums oriented towards home shop machines.

There are other fourms that would be better for a question about a machine like that. That said I would get a ER32 or ER20 collet holder with a .75 straight shank and put that in a 3/4 R8 collet to get your extra length.

Kenton, the spindles/bearings on these types of machines are marginal to start with, adding extensions just makes it worse...

Thanks for the replies. Are you referring to another form on PM, or another site entirely? Could you point me in the right direction please.

Use it to Drill a giant hole in itself, then Turn a Boss around the hole, then Mill some undercuts for lifting. Then use a crane and lift it up, over the top of a small garbage can and throw that POS in there.

Thanks for your reply and direction EPA. plastik .. haters going to hate
Littler .. clever but if my machine had the reach to drill a hole in itself I wouldn't have asked the question. I might suggest if you cannot be helpful you should stay in the corner with your MT stuck in your tailstock

Thanks for your reply and direction EPA. plastik .. haters going to hate
Littler .. clever but if my machine had the reach to drill a hole in itself I wouldn't have asked the question. I might suggest if you cannot be helpful you should stay in the corner with your MT stuck in your tailstock

I do usually, but I just can't help myself when people want to talk about tinker toys, on a forum of Professionals.

R

you know I truly owe you (all) an apology. I am a member of a number of forums for a number of different subjects (Radio Control Helicopters and airplanes, motorcycles, shooting, farming, ect..) and one thing in common is they are there to share knowledge and experience and sometimes swap stories and tell lies (all in good fun)so when I read on the home page "Practical Machinist is the easiest way to learn new techniques, get answers quickly and discuss common challenges with your peers" I thought this was the place to come to do just that .. I didn't realize what it actually meant was "As long as you have your professional machinist card in your pocket and come to the meetings, and run a $50,000+ machine Practical Machinist is the easiest way to learn new techniques, get answers quickly and discuss common challenges with your peers."

My closing thought before I leave is I have to wonder Litler, where did you get your start in the machining industry? What about you Plastik? My guess, and I'm probably wrong, is that you once had a love for making cool stuff. But I wonder, do you still have that love or has machining just become a job .. Anyway, take care.

3rd Generation. I didn't have a ton of options according to them.

R

PS, do you talk about watering your lawn on the Farming website? Or talk about bicycles on the Motorcycling forum? I'm also a member of some Motorcycle Forums, I don't bring up Hondas in the Yamaha sub-forum. We here at PM don't take kindly to baby toys. Partly because we have invested sometime astronomical moneys in it, or our entire lives. We don't have time to sift through all the new Threads, finding a topic that applies. Plus we don't really know that much about toys.

you know I truly owe you (all) an apology. I am a member of a number of forums for a number of different subjects (Radio Control Helicopters and airplanes, motorcycles, shooting, farming, ect..) and one thing in common is they are there to share knowledge and experience and sometimes swap stories and tell lies (all in good fun)so when I read on the home page "Practical Machinist is the easiest way to learn new techniques, get answers quickly and discuss common challenges with your peers" I thought this was the place to come to do just that .. I didn't realize what it actually meant was "As long as you have your professional machinist card in your pocket and come to the meetings, and run a $50,000+ machine Practical Machinist is the easiest way to learn new techniques, get answers quickly and discuss common challenges with your peers."

My closing thought before I leave is I have to wonder Litler, where did you get your start in the machining industry? What about you Plastik? My guess, and I'm probably wrong, is that you once had a love for making cool stuff. But I wonder, do you still have that love or has machining just become a job .. Anyway, take care.

I don't have a machinist card...my first 6 years of machining were trial and error just trying to get stuff done for a customer.

Basically we are a sour lot when it comes to these toy machines. Do stick around though, you may learn something.

Why is that? I would like to understand.

Good question. Part of it is the way we are in person, and the Legacy of attempted perfection that we are brought up in. Where you as the new guy sink or swim. We have no time to pass the Legacy on to the flippant, unaccountable, sissies that the Millenial generation seems to have an abundance of. If your skin is tough enough, you might make it into the the class of people we regard as the Salt of the Earth, those who produce and contribute.

R

Thanks, that does help me understand. I'll say, I think my skin is fairly tough. As a 47 year old vet, in basic training at 17, that gets up every morning, works hard to provide for his family, I don't think I'm a millennial. And, while I don't know about being the salt of the earth I think I have contributed every day since I was 16 years old. When I got out of the military I started at the bottom and now run an entire team of guys...

Anyway the only reason I said that is to suggest not every 'new guy', or guy with a 'toy machine' is flippant, unaccountable or a sissy.

Frankly if you have time to be a dick then you have time to be a grown up and educate someone trying to learn.

Thanks, that does help me understand. I'll say, I think my skin is fairly tough. As a 47 year old vet, in basic training at 17, that gets up every morning, works hard to provide for his family, I don't think I'm a millennial. And, while I don't know about being the salt of the earth I think I have contributed every day since I was 16 years old. When I got out of the military I started at the bottom and now run an entire team of guys...

Anyway the only reason I said that is to suggest not every 'new guy', or guy with a 'toy machine' is flippant, unaccountable or a sissy.

Frankly if you have time to be a dick then you have time to be a grown up and educate someone trying to learn.

I think the other problem is that if you'd have read the rules it would be fairly obvious that talk of these machines isn't welcome, so disregarding that and posting questions about them anyways sort of opens you up to people being dicks.

Back