What's new
What's new

Victor 1640 Question

elysianbike

Plastic
Hey Folks,

I recently purchased a Victor 1640 — it was a ridiculous deal compared to what other 1640s seem to be selling for.
I'm new to using an engine lathe (prior experience with lathes was in a wood shop 10-12 years ago) so I'm trying to go about the initial set-up, cleaning, etc carefully (it powers up + runs fine. I've done a few small cuts on it so far).

I'm a bit unsure about a missing part of the lathe:
On the front next to the quick change lever there should be a button but it's been removed and the wires have been taped off.
In the manual it's listed as a Tip Engine Button.

Section 5-3 in the manual says: "For speed change easier, also adjusting the center for raw material when 4-jaws chuck used, in the lower portinn of feed gear box, there has a Tip engine button (8), push the button lightly, spindle running positive, and stopped while without applied the force on it." (that's verbatim)

I have no idea what this actually means — partially from being ignorant and partly from the poor translation. Could someone help me understand what this button does and if I should go ahead and replace it? As I said, the machine seems to run fine w/out it.

Cheers!
T

It sound like a spindle jog button to me. For rotating the spindle slowly while centering a part or to help when shifting spindle speeds. When changing speeds if the gears aren’t lined up properly it helps to rotate the spindle.

I'm guessing this is what we would call "JOG" which is a momentary contact that lets you "bump-rotate" the spindle. Say you need to access chuck jaws for change out and so forth. Rather than putting gear train in neutral and rolling the chuck manually, you tap "JOG"

Thanks for the assistance ya'll. I'm super new to the forum but have already found a bunch of helpful threads, etc. I really appreciate your willingness to share info, etc.

-T-

Back