What's new
What's new

Victor 1660

jmoore2784

Plastic
Hey guys, I am new to machining and the forum and this is my first post. I have bought a very large Enshu mill and have been very pleased with it. My question now goes to a Lathe I am looking at which is in the title and is a Victor 1660. Comes with some tooling (i.e. quick change tool post, 12" 4 jaw and 3 jaw, steady rest, coolant pump, and whatever else I can find in this shop that goes with is he says I can have. He originally asked $3750 but I have negotiated down to $2800 (requires me to move everything out of the way to move the lathe). The guy states that it is in very good condition and I am planning on going and looking at it on Friday. I have watched a ton of videos on examining a lathe but didn't know if there were any common problems with this manufacturer.

I see that Victor is still around (plus I hope) and you can possibly get parts but don't have the serial number yet to confirm. Does anyone have any dealings with Victor in getting parts for this type of lathe if needed. Thanks for all the help beforehand.

Attachments

• Victor 1660.jpg
    Victor 1660.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 165
Additionally I will be running this off a 20hp RFC I am putting together now. The lathe doesn't see to have any complex electrical and I am balancing the RFC with run compositors to get as close of voltage across the lines as possible.

We have a 25yr old+ 1630 Victor here at work and it has been a great, accurate machine. They are a Mori Seiki copy.

They seem to have a good reputation among the import lathes.
Generally that style of lathe does not have a lot of speed changes, and it does not have a clutch like the heavier American machines of the same size.

Do you realize how much that machine weighs? A engine hoist will probably not lift it high enough to get it into a truck. Lathes are top heavy and easy to tip.
Seems like a good deal if it is in decent shape and you can move it yourself. See if you can buy any round stock he has kicking around for scrap prices to practice on. With a lathe and a mill any small flat or round piece is potentail material for a small project. Note that hex and square stock cost a bit more then round. Figure out scrap prices delivered in your area so you have an idea before you go.
Bill D.

Not sure if this is exact model but weight is around 3650 pounds so you need two ton hoisting gear. If you use an engine hoist the boom will have to be fully retracted limiting height and reach.

Last edited:

Back