What's new
What's new

Victor Surface Grinder Quality?

beeser

Cast Iron
Just purchased my first surface grinder, a Victor TGS-818B. It seems to be well built and hasn't had much use based on the look of it. How does this machine stack up against more well known brands as far as quality?
Victor Surface Grinder 001.jpg

Made in Taiwan is a plus. Ball way slide can be in great condition or wore out. best to pull the table and see what is under,If you have a manual and can do that safely... Don't know how the cross runs, balls or roller likely. If you can safely pull it and clean that would be the best choice
I have never ran a Victor but would say it is a good machine if in good condition.

*RE: Automatic lubrication to all slide ways and leadscrews to maintain smooth movement and minimize machine wear and tear. So tear down perhaps not needed.

See if the lub system is working/if your machine has that..with a good design it may wash the balls...another plus.
Good to note the spindle speed on the wheel guard , likely 3600RPM.

I like to run a strip of tape along he parting line between the moving table and the top of the cross base, low stick is fine because it will not hurt the paint. The cross saddle with being oiled so tape doesn't not stick there. Also like to jog start a grinding spindle.

I don't know if you are experienced in surface grinding. if not then don't grind the chuck right off.
A tall set-up needs to be blocked in on the go side. If you can tip a tall set-up with two fingers it may need better block-in.

Good to never blow off a grinder for cleaning,,some guys don'r even like an air hose to reach the grinder.
Should add a ground-in back rail to the chuck, with it 1/16 off chuck so you can dress it.
Check what that black (brown) wheel is.. A good general purpose mild + hard steel wheel is a 46H, I, J, or K white aluminum oxide. Wet grinding is very often good.

*Come back with any question no matter how simple.

Looks like a very nice shop, too bad those two bloody finger prints are all that is left of the last guy using that grinder.

Back