What's new
What's new

Vídeos about screw machine setup?

JasonPAtkins

Hot Rolled
I have no practical need for this information, but have always been fascinated by complicated tasks being done by machines before computers were there to help. I've looked, but not found, videos about how mechanical screw machines set-ups are/were done. I know they use cams, etc, but would enjoy a video about how to set up a machine to run a specific part from start to end. I've seen videos of them in operation, but not how the set-up is done.

Anyone know of one? Like an Abom shaper video, teaching the old machines? :)

Not a video so much but a diagram of each station with notes.

I've found several in training manuals for each machine (W&S, Acme, Wickman, etc.)

These show you exactly why you are attacking a part form a specific end, what to gang up tools on, where to add chamfering etc.

Start with the single spindle machines first, before you tackle a multispindle machine.

i mean, if you understand the turret lathe and its tooling, then the multi spindle is just an extension of it....with six times the mess, noise, scrap and speed

Not a video so much but a diagram of each station with notes.

I've found several in training manuals for each machine (W&S, Acme, Wickman, etc.)

These show you exactly why you are attacking a part form a specific end, what to gang up tools on, where to add chamfering etc.

Start with the single spindle machines first, before you tackle a multispindle machine.

My first screw machine experience was in a multi shop. I would say they are way easier than single spindle machines. After working for a few years doing set ups and everything in that shop I applied at Cox in San Antonio. They thought I was something because I could set up multis. I did not let them know I thought anyone that could layout and set up a job on a B&S was way more talented than me.

I like Snowman's comment about experience running turret lathes as being most helpful running multis. That is all I had when starting on screw machines. To the OP's original question I know of no instructional videos.

Last edited:
I'd probably watch a 5-10 minute clip of screw machines running to the end. :) Maybe even longer if it had slow-motion segements.

I'm going to be doing some in depth videos on how screw machines function. More so the Brown and Sharpe 00 Screw Machine I now have in my garage.

Post links when you finish the videos. I have posted a couple on mine running but they ere simple jobs on single spindle machines. A couple of years ago there was talk of having a screw machine section on this forum, just not much need or interest.

Traub single spindle auto lathe

Post links when you finish the videos. I have posted a couple on mine running but they ere simple jobs on single spindle machines. A couple of years ago there was talk of having a screw machine section on this forum, just not much need or interest.

I remember I was amazed with how many operations could be done at once on automatic lathe. We used to finish headed bolts on Traub single spindle automatic lathes. Most were out of the hard to machine materials like Inconel and the like. We would face and chamfer the end drill and chamfer the Id and plunge cut and chamfer the od . We had to time the tool facing the part so that the tool point entered into the drill flute relief area as part was drilled and faced at the same time. And another tool was plunging and chamfering the od from another tool slide while this was going on. Then when the cuts were done the collet opened by a cam and ejected out of collet and another part was loaded by the operator and the spindle was running all the time.

I learned to gang up tools on turret lathes and checkers by watching what could be done on an automatic. Like face and chamfer and groove a part with only using one stop .

Jimsehr

Back