What's new
What's new

Vise jaws

woodsrider845

Hot Rolled
O.k. Don't laugh. Or laugh. Whatever. What is the purpose of vise jaws? Besides being able to replace when worn, and being able to machine for special holding, are they a necessity? I had a part that had to be done asap, and my 6" vise came up 1/2" short. Suitable clamping would have take two ops, so I pulled the jaws, and clamped that bitch.

No puppies were harmed, no lives were lost, and no parts slipped nor were thrown across the shop.

So besides taking a chance on nicking the actual vise, did I commit a sin?

Last edited:
Jaws are a consumable to protect the vise. All you did was increase the wear and decrease the accuracy of your vise. It may not be measurable now but repeat a few times and the damage will slowly make itself known.

I had an aluminum one-off fixture that was the same way (barely too big to fit between the jaws). I removed my jaws, gingerly tightened the chuck, and did the light machining.

Keep in mind, I was simply decking off the some height in 6061. If I was boring holes, or making features close to the "jaws", I would not have been so cavalier.

Seeing all the random marks and nicks in my current jaws (both from me, and from the PO), says keep the jaws in place... I doubt any of those dummy marks were intentional.

Also, do not forget about back-mounting the jaws for extra reach if your vise allows.

worry about making money with your machine, not in handling your vise like it was sacred. What's the worse that can happen? You marr a face. So what, skim it on a surface grinder and it's better than new.

worry about making money with your machine, not in handling your vise like it was sacred. What's the worse that can happen? You marr a face. So what, skim it on a surface grinder and it's better than new.

Kinda my thought train. I definitely made more than the cost of the vise because it was last minute, rushrushrushrush. Customer left with a smile, too.

Kinda my thought train. I definitely made more than the cost of the vise because it was last minute, rushrushrushrush. Customer left with a smile, too.

Net result - all is good, paid for eventual vise replacement and made a profit too! Have to stretch the rules on those panic jobs, except the costing rule - cheap, good, fast - pick any two!

O.k. Don't laugh. Or laugh. Whatever. What is the purpose of vise jaws? Besides being able to replace when worn, and being able to machine for special holding, are they a necessity? I had a part that had to be done asap, and my 6" vise came up 1/2" short. Suitable clamping would have take two ops, so I pulled the jaws, and clamped that bitch.

No puppies were harmed, no lives were lost, and no parts slipped nor were thrown across the shop.

So besides taking a chance on nicking the actual vise, did I commit a sin?
No you didn't commit a sin, sometimes you have to do that in a pinch. Just don't make a habit of it.
Yes jaws are a necessity, they protect the interior faces of the vise which is where your base accuracy stems from. And the reason why hard jaws are... hardened and ground parallel.

I've done what you did and probably everyone else has also once or twice.
But I would never do it with stock that was sawcut or burned edges.

Aren’t many vises made to be the same height and fixed jaw position so that they can be ganged up on the same machine? Start grinding them and then they must be made into matched pairs if they’re to be used like this.

Aren’t many vises made to be the same height and fixed jaw position so that they can be ganged up on the same machine? Start grinding them and then they must be made into matched pairs if they’re to be used like this.

Doesn't matter. If you need multiple vises aligned for long work pieces, you indicate the back edge of jaw to zero on each one. Doesn't really matter if viseA has .75000" thick jaws and viseB has .7000" thick jaws, you align them to the same zero. The only time it would matter, if you were swapping jaws between vises alot, then if they are different thickness your 'back' edges are no longer true..

To the OP, as Mtndew said, the vise jaws are hardened so they don't really take damage from clamping saw cut edges or whatnot. The back of the vise, where a hard jaw mounts, is NOT hardened so it will get nicked and bruised if you continue to use without a jaw....

Height, yes. Jaw position + or - a few .001" could be tweaked in to position.

However, it's probably a moot point.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I use pins so the back position is also fixed. I indicate them but it’s mainly academic as they typically register less than .001” difference and for my work that’s fine. I’m certain that I’m not the only person who uses this feature.

Purists turn away now - it's that heathen Brit again;)

When removing jaws for the extra capacity, you can always put apiece of shim / sheet / coke can etc etc between the workpiece and vise body.

Purists turn away now - it's that heathen Brit again;)

When removing jaws for the extra capacity, you can always put apiece of shim / sheet / coke can etc etc between the workpiece and vise body.

Um, er, galvanized flashing may or may not be used for certain purposes...

I know the OP is talking about his milling vise, but I see no reason why my solution for my bench vise can not also apply there, at least in some situations.

Also, there is no real reason why a vise, milling or otherwise, can not be used without the jaws. But I would limit such use to occasional situations where it solves some particular problem as it did in this case. Tools are tools and are made to be used. In a pro shop, they also need to earn their cost. A hammer is made to hit things and it gets some wear with each nail or other thing that it hits. But that IS it's purpose and I have hammers that are at least 50 years old and still going strong.

I look at vise jaws as doing two things for you: first they are consumable and replaceable so they can extend the life of the vise. Perhaps your particular job did no damage to the jaws, but even with care, my vises often show signs of wear and tear after years of use and at least 90% of that wear and tear is on the removable, replaceable jaws. I have also seen much damage in photos of vises on the web and again, most of it is to the jaws. So, they do work in this manner.

The second thing that they do for you is to provide a way for using the proper type of jaws for each item or job. Thus, I have several sets of jaws for my bench vise: aluminum, soft, wood, and felt at the present time. On my bench vise, I can pick the ones that will be best for a given task or work piece. The problem with this is the time needed to remove and replace the OEM jaws that are mounted with screws. Two screws per jaw is not an excessive amount, but still it takes time and that is often a reason for NOT matching the jaws to the task.

I have purchased and made various jaws with magnetic mounting so that the jaw change is very fast, it takes only a few seconds. So, unlike screw mounted jaws, my magnetic jaws are actually used very frequently; I almost always choose the one that is best suited to the task at hand.

attachment.php

attachment.php

With a bit of care and planed machining, a set of magnetic jaws for a milling vise could be made to be at least +/- 0.001" across their faces. The only problem would be how to clamp them in place while making the truing cuts. But if only a step at the top is to be used, then that is not a problem.

I have only recently purchased a couple of proper milling vises for my mill and have not gotten around to making any accessories yet, except for a pair of excellent, contoured table covers to use with them to keep the chips out of the Tee slots. I will probably at least make a pair of aluminum jaws for one of them and it will probably be magnetic. I have table mounted stops, but want a vise mounted one also.

A quick suggestion

Hilma NC-series vises from Carr Lane Mfg & Roemheld use both jaws on top of the vise and traditional vise jaws allowing them to handle a large variety of workpiece sizes. The jaws are precision ground and should fit anything you are working on. I agree that you don’t want to be putting any un-needed wear and tear on your vise currently, especially if you are having to be precise in what you are doing. We also have a selection of quick change jaws that could work for you as well. NC-Series Hydro-Mechanical Vises | Carr Lane

I had to do that just last week, I used strips of brass shim to help reduce causing damage to the vise itself. Strips of sheet lead work great if the edges are rough.
If you think you have a precision machine vise, never test the rear jaw with a tenth indicator from unloaded to loaded, just don't do it!

I took a look at the carr lane vises, they look like a better design then the old ang-lock design with the ears and bolt holes, that old style really distorts much more the one would think under load, simple test like setting one on a surface plate with something loaded in it may be alarming. But, the old style vise are usually good enough.

Back