What's new
What's new

vise orientation

pieterb

Plastic
Hello,

Is there a specific reason why vises are mounted square to the long table and not in the length of the table? I just purchased a longer vise and it's sticking a long way out, so I wonder it is stable enough.

thx for the ideas

Hello,

Is there a specific reason why vises are mounted square to the long table and not in the length of the table? I just purchased a longer vise and it's sticking a long way out, so I wonder it is stable enough.

thx for the ideas

Wow, try drilling or milling in the middle of a long piece, maybe?

The solution to your predicament is simple, you need a bigger mill.

Hello,

thx for the ideas

Your mill. Your vise. Your decision what you grab and how hard you push stuff.

Just try it and see if it suits the work you grasp with it, and the forces your mill applies TO that work?

Some folks even use swivel base vises?

:)

The swivel base vise is a carry over from the old horizontal mill days.

Yup. So you could hand-file stuff on the bench as wasn't worth the bother of setting-up .. with clamps (whointheHell puts a"vise" on a horizontal mill?) and powering-up the mill.

And when is the last time you saw a "young" horizontal mill? "Old" MEANS "horizontal". Check out the storage system in graveyards.

:D

Hello, Is there a specific reason why vises are mounted square to the long table and not in the length of the table? I just purchased a longer vise and it's sticking a long way out, so I wonder it is stable enough. thx for the ideas

Short answer: It works best for most ops in that position.
If there is an operation where changing the vise orientation is beneficial, change it. For general-purpose day in/day out use, keep it crossways.

You might put a vise on long ways to face off the end of stock, maybe more than one at a time. Or use a mill saw to cut pieces off to length. Or drill/bore in the end of something. Or end mill a slot in the end of something too long to mill with the stock standing up. Other setups are only limited by your imagination.

At one time we had five horizontals and tried to leave a couple with a vise close to the end of the table set up each way to do something fast. Unless you have a HUGH vise the table should weigh enough to keep everything flat and square.

We are talking about a milling table or a table on another machine tool, aren't we?

First some milling vises are intended for mounting the long way. This is usually a two piece style vise which allows very long pieces to be mounted between the jaws. But "very long" is still a significant amount shorter than the table's length.

The biggest thing I can see with a vise mounted the long way is the screw handle will hit the table: you can't do a rapid movement by spinning it with your finger. That wastes time and wasted time can be money in a commercial shop. You also can not put one of those three armed speed handles on them. Things work a lot faster with the handle out in open space.

I went through a process to determine the best size vise for my mill. Many advised me to get a 6". I suspect that is more or less the default size that most machinists think about. And there are a lot of used 6" ones out there.

But, in addition to asking for opinions, I also made some cardboard cutouts that showed the outlines, the location of the fixed jaws, and the mounting holes/slots as well as I could manage from the catalog specs and photos. For my mill it came down to either a 5" or a 6" size. When I placed the two cutouts on my table, with the mounting slots over one of the table's Tee slots I quickly saw that the 6" looked oversized. I tried some table movements and found that there was no way that I could reach all of the jaw's gripping area with a tool in the quill. So much of the extra capacity of the 6" was just wasted. But the 5" allow full access to it's entire area between the jaws and even some space behind the fixed jaw for things like edge finders to work in. The 5" was perfect for my mill and I saved a significant amount on the price. In fact I would up buying two 5" vises so I could mount longer work pieces using both of them. This came to more than a 6", but the work envelope was a lot larger then the 6" and I could reach all of it with a tool. Win, win, WIN.

And with one or two 5" vises on the table, with their noses hanging over the forward table edge, I can hold work pieces that are only limited by the width of my shop, not the length of the table. I can only work on a foot or so of them at one time, but items many feet long are a definite possibility. That could not happen with a vise mounted the long way.

You can see that discussion here if you wish:

Milling Vise Size? -

The Home Shop Machinist & Machinist's Workshop Magazine's BBS

I have seen many a guy mount a long vise on the table only to pound the tightening handle thru the door during a Y move. Mount it the long way.

Generally avoidable if the handles are simply not sent into the workspace atall.

"Optimal"? No klew, here.

Who ever does know what some other Pilgrim has to do to get his tasking to work for what he has, not what WE have, nor what he wishes he had.

OP may as well have asked: "how do I do work?"

We may as well have answered: "It depends..."

Back