What's new
What's new

VMC 1000 Maximum Spindle Weight Tool Capacity

jon614z28

Plastic
Good Day All,

I am using my Bridgeport VMC1000 for surfacing cylinder heads among other things...currently using a Sub 11" Fly cutter, but it isn't mine and I wasn't planning on buying one so I want to use my 10" face mill I have laying around.

Machine is a CAT40 Taper, I don't plan on cutting more than .005 a pass so I'm not worried about the load on the machine, but I am more concerned about the weight of the tool and the possible strain on the spindle it may have? It could be as much as 30 lbs. hanging off the spindle, not worried about the ATC capacity, just the spindle and the bearings. Should I be? I cannot find any weight limits for the machine itself, just the ATC. Thanks you for the help

Not sure if they're the same spindle or not but the sticker on my VMC760 says max 7 kg tool weight and max 250 mm gage length. I think the only real difference between the machines is travel but I'm not sure.

You might look at making a custom bar flycutter from a 2" square piece of good steel about 12" long. Use a shell mill arbor with 1.000" pilot for the taper mount, make matching geometry in the center of the bar (including drive pockets for the keys), then "H" (sideways, so more an "I") the lengths of the bar from ~1.5" out to ~5". Add bores or slots for bits, or pockets for inserts to the ends for cutting.

Balance and accuracy of work are critical, you can taper the ends of the bar vertically to take weight from the periphery. Use common sense on this, if you're not comfortable designing something of this nature, don't!

If it's a geared head that helps, you can run it in low gear.

But personally, I'd build a flycutter like Milland suggested...

I wouldn’t think tool weight would make a fat lot of difference to the spindle. Compared to drilling tough steel thrust would far far exceed 30lb. If spindle speed up is an issue use override and wind it up slowly. Making a fly cutter is no act of god either. 30lb for any size bearing likely to be on a 40taper VMC isn’t a big dea IMO.

I recognise the force is opposite normal thrust conditions. As a note one guy I worked with on a 50 taper horizontal was back facing a bore and thought he could get through without changing the inserts on one last face, and pulled the tool out of the spindle. Machine still running years later.

Back