What's new
What's new

Voest radial drill....worth saving?

GregSY

Diamond
So...I rescued this Voest radial drill today from a storage unit that had been abandoned with various machine tools in it.

It has issues....the main motor (probably) gave out and it looks like somone used that as an excuse to steal the table from under it.

It's similar to my Oerlikon UB2 but one size bigger in most ways. It has an MT4 taper spindle and 5 power downfeeds. It also has a column-mounted motor that performs the raise/lower function.

You can see in the background a tool grinder...I didn't pay much attention to it other than it was German/Swiss/Austrian. But I think it would go cheap.

My question is...how desired are these drills? I don't see myself fixing it as I have no use for it that my UB2 won't meet. Who has run one of these drills? Any opinions or experiences? More than likely it's headed for the Machinery for Sale section...

Voest 1.jpgVoest 3.jpgVoest 2.jpg

My guess is your bigger cost would be in getting it in your hands....

This drill's main motor was missing. The seller didn't even know it had a motor...I explained where it would fit and what it looked like. He started digging around and realized he had it. He pulled it out from behind some other junk; it has the long driveshaft attached and appears complete except the 'can' that cover the stator is missing. I'm 'assuming' it could be rebuilt and function again. The smaller motor that sits in the column is still in there and is probably good.

It also had some 'cans' on the column clamps....from what little I looked, it appears they are (possibly) air powered and would allow the column to be unclamped/clamped without manual turning of the screws. In other words, pushbutton operation of the column clamps. The good news is if they were inoperative, you could always replace them easily with a nut or T-handle.

The downfeed is pretty cool in that it engages by pulling the quill levers out, similar to a larger radial drill press. Although the top RPM is 3000, the motor itself is (I believe) a 4 pole 1800RPM. It appears to have a clutch-protected downfeed.

The columns, vertical and horizontal, are in nice shape. They appear to have been kept free of rust and I didn't notice any big drag lines or gouges. I wish my UB2's columns were this nice.

7” dia Column
24” Travel to arm
24” Vertical travel
7” Quill Travel
#4 mt to spindle
Spindle Speeds: 20 – 3000 (8 steps)
5 downfeed increments
Power downfeed to spindle

Hi Greg, I was hoping to PM you, but it seems your inbox is full. I just had a few questions about your Oerlikon, as I am a new owner of one as well. Hope to speak soon, thanks Trevor.

Back