What's new
What's new

Kira Radial Drill

Blazemaster

Hot Rolled
I have never seen a radial this size in person. I have seen a lot of the usual radial sizes, and of course the cheap taiwan "radial" drill press. A gentleman called me yesterday and said a friend of mine gave him my number, and said I might be interested in this drill. It was about an hour away so I gassed up my truck and headed up there. I had seen a few cell phone pics, and the drill looked smaller in the pics. I was guessing maybe 3-400lbs. I had never heard of the brand before, and couldn't find much online about it. It is made in japan, so I figured it was pretty decent. I liked it, and the price was very low so I bought it.

When I arrived I got the chatting with the man, he said he got it at a garage sale lol. It is quite a hefty little piece, so I thought I may need a forklift. Luckily the arm came off, along with the post so It broke down to 3 main pieces. It was still all we could do to get each piece into my truck, as well as the cart. After getting it into the truck, and into my shop, I think it is somewhere in the 800lb. range.

It seems to be very well made, and looks like it hasn't seen much use. Everything is tight, nothing is missing but there is one tiny blemish on the table. I will have to check the capacity tomorrow, I am pretty beat from loading/unloading the thing. It is an mt 2 taper, but is a very stout machine. I have a large 24" drill with a 4mt, so this will fit in with the rest of the heard nicely. It will replace a POS taiwan drill that I got for free on craigslist.

Mainly curious if anyone else has a machine like this, or anything made by Kira. From the very limited info I could find online, they also made a gearhead version of this drill, so I am guessing this one is older.

That's a baby compared to the one in our shop (can't remember the manufacturer @ the moment). That being said a very versatile piece of equipment. With a quick change tooling system you can knockout jobs in a jiffy, you will love it. I'm not bragging about size , I have nothing to compensate for.The reason I say it is that the bigger the radial drill you won't have to move really big jobs like 27" bolt circles, you have the "reach" to cover all holes. Very efficient. Conrad's on your purchase.

I just bought this Kira KBR-600. If anyone has or knows of someone selling a small box table in the Washington State area, Im pretty interested in finding one.

There was a guy on craigslist a few weeks ago selling a decent sized box parallel that would have made a good table for this drill, but I can't seem to find it now. I doubt you will find a dedicated radial drill box table in that size, most are way too big and would take up the entire throw of the machine. Maybe try a table from an old shaper in a junk yard?

Here's a few things I found on ebay in like 2 mins

6x6x6" Machinist Block Riser Square Parallel Mill Fixture Set Up Block fixturing | eBay

10" x 10" x 5" Machinist Mill Set-Up Inspection Footed Hollow Box Parallel: Used | eBay

Nice looking machine. I am old enough to remember when Made in Japan meant junk, but that hasn't been true for a long time, and the chinese have blown them away in that department.

Back