What's new
What's new

Waht type of metal are Sunnen truing sleeves made out of?

Laverda

Cast Iron
Sunnen prices are insane and I need a truing sleeve. How they can charge such a crazy amount of money for a piece of thick tubing is beyond me. The size I need is not on Ebay at the moment so I need to make one.

What are they made out of? Cast iron or steel? I am thinking cast iron as it is more abrasive than steel? The old turning sleeves from years ago were definitely a cast part. The new one today look to be made from steel tubing???????

If steel, what kind?

Anyone ever made one?

Sunnen prices are insane and I need a truing sleeve. How they can charge such a crazy amount of money for a piece of thick tubing is beyond me. The size I need is not on Ebay at the moment so I need to make one.

What are they made out of? Cast iron or steel? I am thinking cast iron as it is more abrasive than steel? The old turning sleeves from years ago were definitely a cast part. The new one today look to be made from steel tubing???????

If steel, what kind?

Anyone ever made one?

How do you plan on making it round and straight? What is your time worth? I just buy them, I find I make more money making something I can sell.

The older/larger ones are cast iron. The newer and smaller ones are mild steel. I have some steel ones that are at least 1½" diameter. Not sure it matters what you make them out of. There are a few automotive equipment used machinery dealers out there, like Ferris Equipment, you might give them a call.

The ones sold today are mild steel bored and honed to the size marked. Don't buy them off of Ebay unless you are sure they are new. There are a lot of 1/2" truing sleeves out there that are now closer to 5/8", they get bigger with use.

You want the sleeve close to the size of the parts you are honing. If you are using a key way mandrel you want it within .010" of you part size. A mandrel that is not trued close to your part diameter can make a out of round hole. The same is true with mandrel selection. Don't just find a mandrel that will fit inside your part make sure it's advertised size range fits you part. There is geometry involved in honing tool design to insure they make a round hole.

Back