What's new
What's new

Walkie Stacker as a lift table

Bill D

Diamond
There is a used walkie stacker cheap near me. Could it be used as a lift table to get work up off the floor to a more comfortable working height. Sounds unsafe to me

Without a pic of said machine, and a pic of what you want to lift, its pretty hard to form an opinion.

I've been struggling with how to lift heavy stuff in my shop, sadly "heavy" is now anything over 50lbs.....best idea so far is little jib cranes on machines and workbenches, might have to add an outrigger leg to benches?

All of our parts are stored in pallets. We use the walkie stacker to hold the pallet at a comfortable height while picking. Works great until some genius decides to pick exclusively from one side until the pallet flips off the side.

I find the continuously adjustable height of my forklift forks to make a perfect work platform. Plenty stout to clamp things to or even attaching manual tubing bender.

Safety folks always say what happens if the line bursts or catastrophic hydraulic failure. I figure I am about 1000x more likely to hurt my back or body working at a bad height than I am to be crushed by the hydraulic failure.

I have an electric pallet stacker and it makes a good work table, I just have a piece of 1" plywood I throw up on it. It is often easier to lower the pallet stacker down to the floor and load a heavy part rather than bring the part to the gantry, and lift it up on a cart. Mine runs on 2 standard deep cells and got it for free, its a raymond. The only problem I have had with it, if you load something too far forward the drive wheel cant get any traction.

Sure thing.

If you don't mind using only 3 sides, stumbling around the column, and stubbing your toes on the protruding wheel arms.

Go to harborfreight (take your coupon) and buy a "lift table"
they make a 500 lb and a 1000 lb unit.

We've done it, but all of our lift trucks rock side to side which is an inconvenience. Don't forget to lower it while you're away. We've had stuff get damaged a couple times because a careless employee left a load in the air at the end of the day and came in the morning to find it came down on top of something. There's always the blame game of "but the hydraulics should'a held (etc.)" but regardless, if they had just lowered it nothing would have happened.

The actual lift carts I've seen tend to be built on a scissor style design that tends to be more stable and less prone to creep.

Go to harborfreight (take your coupon) and buy a "lift table" they make a 500 lb and a 1000 lb unit.

I did exactly that. The 1K lb model is much more solid than the 500 lb model. Got one for ~ $200 with a 25% off coupon. One of the best tool purchases I've ever made. Very old man, bad back friendly.

It comes in handy for lots of things. Like mounting a motor on my lathe. No way I could done that by myself without the lift table. I use it for swapping the vise and rotary table on my mill as well.

There is a used walkie stacker cheap near me. Could it be used as a lift table to get work up off the floor to a more comfortable working height. Sounds unsafe to me

Should be able to add a safety chain at the back of the fork carriage to the top of the mast.

Back