What's new
What's new

Walter tools. Made in China, not Germany

Gobo

Titanium
We just gat a $700 face mill in this morning. There was a little, teeny weeny sticker on it that said "Made in China"
WTF? We will not be buying any more of this Chinese/German crap. Call me crazy, but that is bullshit.

Welcome to global manufacturing. Have a nice ride on the way down. Hopefully at some point in the future things will rebound back to the days of manufacturing yore.

The biggest insult to me, is the 'Designed in Germany and made to our exacting specifications in global manufacturing locations' bit.

As if the design being done in Germany (by Chinese people?) is what really matters, and of course the grimy, polluting factory should be located 'wherever'.

Hopefully at some point in the future things will rebound back to the days of manufacturing yore.
I thought you didn't smoke weed?

I just got back from the recycler in Portland, I ran out of room for my chips. Two little old ladys parked next to me in their little old lady Lincoln, they looked out of place there as they just looked like normal little old ladys. When I got back from "checking out" one was teaching the other about what the different items would be called and how to improve the price you got by removing things like rubber gaskets. It looked like they were helping people clean out their garages from what they had. This is haunting me still, they certainly didn't look like your normal scrapers.

Stoopid Germans....should have made the cutter body in China, and then shipped to Germany, where workers could install the inserts and screws.

And then stuff them in boxes labelled "Made In Germany"....

Send it back and tell your tooling supplier why. That's the only way things change. Take the time to send a letter to Walter, too.

Same with mask signs on doors. Same with places that post those stupid flags on social media (like pride month? WTF Kennametal you should not care how people choose to fuck, you should care about how your customers turn billet to chips). The only way to stop this is to do something, no matter how small that seems.

Disney lost $600M in revenue after firing Gina Carano and posting stupid woke warnings before The Muppet Show. Coca-Cola fired their racist piece of shit "be less white" folks and changed their training programs after losing a ton of business when that stuff came out.

We're fighting communism, whether it is the cultural ("color") revolution, or the economic warfare being waged by China and our own government here in the USA.

Fight small, fight big, whatever. But you have to fight.

I thought the heavily unionized, strongly nationalistic Germany was all-against offshoring work to low-labor-cost countries?

I guess reality still manages to slap Europe’s strongest economy into the real world....

I am sure Walter will regret it. The typical Chicom business plan is to partner with someone else then steal all their shit. Fuck Walter. Fuck China. Fuck Walter and China. That is EG bait if I have ever seen it.

Although I understand the disappointment in receiving a tool you thought was made in Germany but was instead made in China.

First of all it is possible it is made just as well if not better than the German version. The Chinese don't make junk just because they want to. They manufacture to the quality they are asked by USA and other companies worldwide. You cell phone, TV and computer were all most likely made in China and they probably work fine. And would not bee any better quality if made here.

Although retired now, I worked in the past with a number of Chinese companies and they will make the item to what ever level of precision/quality you want. Most manufactures move production to China and then ask for it to be made as cheap as possible. If you are willing to pay more they can do amazing work.

One of the last things I worked on with China was an aluminum casting that had to after casting, a lot of machining and then had to be polished to a mirror finish. We assumed they would cast the part but instead made if from a big block of aluminum on a machining center. The part when finished was better that what we were getting here in the US and was still cheaper. Other Chinese companies bidding on the same part cast it, did a poor job machining it and polishing it. But it barely cost more than the scrap price of the aluminum it was made from. They are so used to making things as cheap as possible they never thought we may have wanted it made as good as possible. Unfortunately this is what most US companies want to sell. The extra $20 to make it good is a waste of money to them.

And no I am not Chinese, I am well aware most of what they make is junk and avoid it unless I have no other choice.

Last edited:
Years back, I worked with a large US equipment maker who used frames that were very heavy castings. At least 10 tons each, often more. Some bright executive made a big bonus by setting up a deal where they shipped all of their casting patterns to a maker in China, and spent the usual hundreds of man hours in educating the Chinese in how to make them and what to look out for, etc. The deal was that the Chinese company could produce these castings and use them for the Chinese market only. In exchange, they would also produce the castings for the US company at a great price.

Only...after a couple years, the US maker started seeing their castings offered in the non-Chinese market...down to their logo still being cast on the side. They ran back and complained to the Chinese, who by that point were fully situated and really needed nothing from the US company. The Chinese reply sounded like 'fuck you' which, in Chinese, means 'fuck you'.

Although I understand the disappointment in receiving a tool you thought was made in Germany but was instead made in China.

/snip/

And no I am not Chinese, I am well aware most of what they make is junk and avoid it unless I have no other choice.

This is all true, but the problems come in along the lines of what GregSY is getting at among others. I could list off another couple anecdotes of IP theft, but the other issue is essentially a humanitarian one. The communist government owns all the means of production to some extent or another, even in the case of foreign investors, and gains direct monetary benefit from production facilities like this one and many others.

They turn around and use that money to run their authoritarian regime and abuse their own people (who were lifted out of poverty by that foreign investment after the government put them all there, so...). It's a fairly complex trap they've set up, on the sly, benefitting many while tightening their noose slowly but surely. Has anyone mentioned lately that the Chinese play the long game?

...and having a President who wears their leash like a bitch-dog, and has a boy who they own, doesn't help our cause any.

First of all it is possible it is made just as well if not better than the German version. The Chinese don't make junk just because they want to.

Most manufactures move production to China and then ask for it to be made as cheap as possible. If you are willing to pay more they can do amazing work.

But if the thing still cost just as much as if it was made in Germany, then the following is absolutely warranted:

Fuck Walter. Fuck China. Fuck Walter and China.

But wouldn't that be precisely why German managers would want to move the work out of country?

I neither favor not hate unions, but they DO shoot themselves in the foot. If labor costs remain reasonable, this does not happen.

I thought the heavily unionized, strongly nationalistic Germany was all-against offshoring work to low-labor-cost countries?

I guess reality still manages to slap Europe’s strongest economy into the real world....

I'm never buying Walter again. I use their old modular parting tool system in my lathe....old Manchester line. I always have several blades and clamps on hand in case something goes sideways. I just re-upped with blades and clamps in April. In May they discontinued the inserts so I'm up a creek holding this worthless garbage. MSC is still selling blades and clamps today even though they know they can't sell the inserts. Walter did the same thing with Valenite. I had some Valenite face mills that left killer finishes and they discontinued those too. F Walter!

First of all it is possible it is made just as well if not better than the German version. The Chinese don't make junk just because they want to. They manufacture to the quality they are asked by USA and other companies worldwide. You cell phone, TV and computer were all most likely made in China and they probably work fine. And would not bee any better quality if made here.

Although retired now, I worked in the past with a number of Chinese companies and they will make the item to what ever level of precision/quality you want. Most manufactures move production to China and then ask for it to be made as cheap as possible. If you are willing to pay more they can do amazing work.

One of the last things I worked on with China was an aluminum casting that had to after casting, a lot of machining and then had to be polished to a mirror finish. We assumed they would cast the part but instead made if from a big block of aluminum on a machining center. The part when finished was better that what we were getting her in the US and was still cheaper. Other Chinese companies bidding on the same part cast it, did a poor job machining it and polishing it. But it barley cost more than the scrap price of the aluminum it was made from. They are so used to making things as cheap as possible they never thought we may have wanted it made as good as possible. Unfortunately this is what most US companies want to sell. The extra $20 to make it good is a waste of money to them.

Quality may or may not be a prime factor in his decision making. He may feel ripped off for paying that much for a product made in China. He may not want to send money to China for political reasons.

i love Dewalt's "made in USA, with globally sourced components" i own three
402 angle grinders . one "india" one "china" and one "made in USA, with globally sourced components" they are all exactly the same . i bought them
all on ebay as "refurbished" they were brand new, but all had a small
defect in the tool-less disk shield- 10 seconds on the belt grinder , and all
is good for all three.

it was not a manufacturing defect, but an assembly problem.... from 3
different countries! i don't care . that's a really great 11A grinder.
i paid $40-$50 apiece shipped. chinese Dewalt is not the same as chinese
Horror Freight.

the point is- with the current establishment encouraging prospective
unemployed men and women to not work....and go on welfare... we're
still bankrupting the economy , and borrowing more money from china.
it all sucks.

Simple fact is funds guarantee 10% annual return on investment,and then demand corporate boards comply.....and when little old you proudly tells your buddies how you get 10% + return come rain hail or shine ,and would be plenty pissed if that 10% wasnt there ......then it is YOU that are sending jobs to China/India/Offshore.

Back