Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Was it half price?

That's what pisses me off with this shit, pure corporate greed.

Thank you, Walter is now off my supplier list.

2. Likes reggie_obe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Long term Walter will get absorbed into the fold and no longer be a brand name.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I’ve noticed over the last few years Kennametal insert packs might have the “Made in China” sticker.

I use mainly Kyocera, Toshiba/Tungaloy, Iscar...haven’t seen any PRC stickers on those yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So about 18 to 20 years back I was asked to evaluate the grind and accuracy of some PCD tools.
    One set of ten from China and one batch of ten from the longest producing PCD house in the USA in the same tool.
    Blind check and I did not know which on purpose. The basic 100x, 300x, and the high 800x inspection for a cutting tool.
    I do not know how each will run but I can tell you how they measure and check . The answers did not make people happy.

Made in China bad, I'm all over that. Unfortunately made in China maybe good or in this case better than the top USA shop..... .... ......
    Bob

6. Likes Screwmachine liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Long term Walter will get absorbed into the fold and no longer be a brand name.
    It is about half way there, already, is it not?

Not new. C&W had owned the legendary "Carterphone (decision) " for ages. Seminal company in a sea-change in the telco industry.

Name had finally faded. Became my job and one assistant to shut it down.

Outgoing CEO sat down with us for a spell. Sent him off to a new tasking.
    Turned as he was clearing the door.

Said he felt he had been through the "Vulcan mind tap". Didn't KNOW he knew as much as about his own firm as we had just extracted.

In 30 wall-clock minutes. From a cold start.

That's how it works.

A proud old brand name? 100 years of history?

Yah. Well. Not my job to run charitable museums.

"What have you done for my bottom-line LATELY?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yuh termite! upon further study of your racist comments from 2017 when you were also posting as Monarchist, you also drug in some other losers just like you, that still post here!
    Of course these are other mouth pieces like termite that do no machine work, and still post here anyway!
    No shit folks, I was called racist here for calling a Chicom military pistol, a fucking Chicom military pistol, but the termite, and a few others are really a bunch of loser white guys trying to blame others for their own malfunction!
    termite and his ilk here show no fucking work, because they cant!
    I think the forum has a racism problem that needs immediate attention right there, and it is just a start.
    The ones that have been covering for the termite, will have a hard time explaining it!

9. Likes reggie_obe liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There seems to be a lot of angst over the fact that the tool was made in China and that it cost a lot of money.

Obviously the price was acceptable, otherwise it wouldn't have been ordered in the first place. Price certainly doesn't stop people buying Chinese manufactured Iphones!.

Is the problem that it was made in China (an overseas competitor)? It can't be that, since Germany is also an overseas competitor to the US.

Was the problem that it was of poor quality? That has not been mentioned, so it's unlikely.

This whole problem seems to be a completely irrational complaint based on some sort of xenophobia. Get over it and start making money with the tool, which was hopefully the reason for buying it in the first place.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rand View Post
    There seems to be a lot of angst over the fact that the tool was made in China and that it cost a lot of money.

Obviously the price was acceptable, otherwise it wouldn't have been ordered in the first place. Price certainly doesn't stop people buying Chinese manufactured Iphones!.

Is the problem that it was made in China (an overseas competitor)? It can't be that, since Germany is also an overseas competitor to the US.

Was the problem that it was of poor quality? That has not been mentioned, so it's unlikely.
    What bugs the OP, and what bugs me is

the fact that they are trading on a name that was established in a different country, with a reputation for quality (that the new country of origin doesn't have)

and also the fact that management is charging a large fraction of the original price and not passing along any of the savings in manufacturing costs (see: all of Apex Tool group, etc).

... in other words, greedy bastards. Bear in mind this entire website exists as a reaction to de-industrialization in the West. It didn't have to be this way, the politically-connected wanted things to be the way they are.

Milwaukee tools made my shit list a few years ago, for instance. And Red Wing boots is almost there too, for the same reasons.

12. Likes Terry Keeley, reggie_obe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Red Wing boots is almost there too, for the same reasons."

get yourself some Chippewas .

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Red Wing hit my list after years of buying the same made in USA boots close to $300 a pair.
    Only to find out from one pair to the next made in China same price, My problem was not with the quality but the fact that I could have always bought a lot cheaper boot

I think that's what the OP is on about

I now buy Chippewa

Greg

15. Likes Gobo, tnmgcarbide liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by donie View Post
    Yuh termite! upon further study of your racist comments from 2017 when you were also posting as Monarchist, you also drug in some other losers just like you, that still post here!
    Of course these are other mouth pieces like termite that do no machine work, and still post here anyway!
    No shit folks, I was called racist here for calling a Chicom military pistol, a fucking Chicom military pistol, but the termite, and a few others are really a bunch of loser white guys trying to blame others for their own malfunction!
    termite and his ilk here show no fucking work, because they cant!
    I think the forum has a racism problem that needs immediate attention right there, and it is just a start.
    The ones that have been covering for the termite, will have a hard time explaining it!
    Donie:

Rather than posting here about termite with no effect, you should start sending letters (I say letters because a letter will get there attention where an email will just be ignored.) to the various advertisers that are on this blog calmly explaining what kind of trash is allowed to post here. When the management of this blog starts to see revenue drop off they will do something about him.

17. Likes reggie_obe, pavt, charlie gary liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tnmgcarbide View Post

Thanks for the tip. I've been buying and using the RedWing LoggerMax boots for years, but lately (last 2 years) they are making it almost impossible to get them. I've been in contact with their factory in Milwaukee... my old pair is made in USA and I was proud to give a guy in Milwaukee a job, even if it cost me half a weeks pay. I have worn their lower-price line of made-in-Vietnam boots, and frankly they suck dead badger ass with a straw, compared to the classic loggers.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by pavt View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I've been buying and using the RedWing LoggerMax boots for years, but lately (last 2 years) they are making it almost impossible to get them. I've been in contact with their factory in Milwaukee... my old pair is made in USA and I was proud to give a guy in Milwaukee a job, even if it cost me half a weeks pay. I have worn their lower-price line of made-in-Vietnam boots, and frankly they suck dead badger ass with a straw, compared to the classic loggers.
    La!

And they say I have a way with words?

Could we make that:

"dead badger ass with moldy bamboo chopsticks and Nuoc Mam rot-sauce"

Just to get the geography sorta "period correct" and all..

;D

Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Probably way past Walter, but my .0002$; we’ve had terrible experiences with Titex drills. They don’t last as long, don’t look good in cap studies, and cost more than our normal.

Really starting to like MA Ford.

I retain a prejudice against chinesium only because of the bad quality trend. In the same breath, I don’t care that it’s not made on US soil, just that it does what I expect and I get what I pay for.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rand View Post

This whole problem seems to be a completely irrational complaint based on some sort of xenophobia. Get over it and start making money with the tool, which was hopefully the reason for buying it in the first place.
    There is no component of fear (xenophobia) in the equation. Disgust and betrayal, yes.

I do not own an Iphone, I have no need for one.

As to overseas competition, I have no problem with that, all things being equal. However,China does not play by the same rules we do.

And the price, the tool was purchased to replace one that had the shit crashed out of it. We use an inventory system that auto orders tools as they are used. The price is what it was.

22. Likes reggie_obe liked this post