What's new
What's new

Walter's Great L1 Spindle Nose Wrench

johnoder

Diamond
Got this today from Walter A. Looks right, fits right, and has the bearing pads where they need to be. I really like the long handle.

John Oder

Attachments

• DCP_1213.jpg
    DCP_1213.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 1,764
Any idea what sort of torque should be used on L spindle noses? .......... I was taught 'Nice and snug but don't go silly.'' ...... though I've seen quite a few battered wrenches over the years.

L1 used on lots of 12/14/16" lathes. If you thought this was big, you should see the L2 and L3 wrenches.:)

Any idea what sort of torque should be used on L spindle noses?

I think what you learned Sami is just right.

John Oder

Thanks for the nice post John. It should last awhile.

As far as the tightening torque mine has always been like a spin on oil filter. Easy on and harder off. I guess the threads get a little too comfy together.

I can make these in an L1 and an L2. For the other sizes I need a template or DXF file. We only stock 3/8" and 5/8" in the T1 and AR grades. I am almost out of the T1 but still use both AR-235 and AR-400 all the time. They both will do the trick. Since I use drops I sell small stuff like this at A36 prices or below.

Thanks again,
Walter A.

If anyone needs the L nose specs for making Walter a dxf cad drawing, PM me with your spindle nose size and email address.

John Oder

No offense but that looks a little clunky. My Colchester L1 wrench (I assume is original to the lathe) has a smaller profile in the 'spanner' area and a longer, cylindrical handle.

Walter A

How much does that L1 wrench weigh?
Do you have the dimensions to make a L0 wrench?

I need a wrench for my Reed Prentice that is a L1 and a buddy of mine needs one for his Lodge and Shipply that is a L0.

The problem is shipping, we're both in Alaska.

If you could PM me a quote with weights I think that we could do some business. I like big and clunky, it means I don't have to pull so hard.

Thane

No offense but that looks a little clunky. My Colchester L1 wrench (I assume is original to the lathe) has a smaller profile in the 'spanner' area and a longer, cylindrical handle.

Maybe it is but it's patterned after the original L2 I have for another of my LeBlond lathes but sized for the L1. the original is probably thinner but 5/8" is what I have so that's what I used.

Walter A.

Walter's wrench

Walter, I think you got it just right. One the upside is the fact that it is big enough for an attacment point to be added so I could lift it up with a jib crane once I'm to weak to pick it up :D (sooner than I think probably).

Nice job, Doug

A DXF file (full scale) is what I need for the L0 and L00. Lacking that a heavy paper pattern folded and mailed will work also as long as the paper is clean enough for us to plot some points on.

I would also need the slot width to make sure 5/8" would fit. Maybe the 3/8" would be fine for the L00.

All I have a machines with L1 & L2 nuts.

The one shipped to John was 9# packed in cardboard. It shipped UPS to John for $11.00.

The L1 wrench was $25.00 in material and $13.00 labor for a total of $38.00 plus mailing cost. L2 would be higher and L0/L00 would be less. The cutting and cleaning time is about the same but naturally the material is + or -.

If you need an L1 or L2 send me a PM. I'll figure and post an L2 price here tomorrow or Friday. The other sizes will need to wait until I get a template.

These prices are to PM members only.

Walter A.

Walter, I think you got it just right. One the upside is the fact that it is big enough for an attacment point to be added so I could lift it up with a jib crane once I'm to weak to pick it up :D (sooner than I think probably).

Nice job, Doug

Thanks Doug,

You had better use Cobalt or Carbide to drill one if you have to.
biggrin.gif

Walter A.

If I can get a reply on the Reed Prentice I made an offer on; I'll need one for an L-1...

Walter does nice work...I've bought a bunch of rings from him and they have all cleaned up perfectly....

Andy Pullen

Walter,
I'd like an L-O to fit my Cincinnati if you get the file for that size. I thought the L-O's came standard with a hammer and a chunk o' brass.:D
Barron

Walter,
I'd like an L-O to fit my Cincinnati if you get the file for that size. I thought the L-O's came standard with a hammer and a chunk o' brass.:D
Barron

Barron (and others)

I would be very happy to make additional wrenches for any of the other long taper sizes such as L00, L0, L3 but I do not have dimensions. I can make the L1 & L2 right now if needed.

What I need:

*Preferred is a DXF drawing emailed to me.
*Next best is a clean paper template transferred from an original wrench with the thickness written on the paper.
*I can live with the following dimensions:
1 - Diameter of the nut measured across the center land (not the knurls)
2 - Width of that center machined land.
3 - Length, depth and width of the drive slot.
4 - Number of drive slots on the nut.

From that I can scale the L1 down or the L2 up. and determine which thickness is best. Once I get the dimensions, DXF or Template I will work out prices and post back here and the commerce.

I have enough T1 to cut one more L1 then I will use AR235 or AR400. Both are tough and very resistant to wear.

Walter A.

Back