Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't neglect to turn it the right way...UNDO is up and away from you

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GregSY View Post
    No offense but that looks a little clunky. My Colchester L1 wrench (I assume is original to the lathe) has a smaller profile in the 'spanner' area and a longer, cylindrical handle.
    I bought one from Walter for the L00 spindle on my Sheldon 13" lathe a few years ago. One of the nicest features is the long handle. The one that came with the machine had a handle barely long enough to grab when a 10" chuck was installed. I've been using Walters on a regular basis and like the size and design.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Folks. Does anyone have the dxf file for the L (2) spindle wrench?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheIronTree View Post
    You want to steal the design ?

Why not simply take qty (30) minutes and draw your own on CAD ?

5. Likes Garwood, Walter A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I see that you are in the UK? I can cut a spanner for you but I would imagine shipping would be pretty costly. An L2 that I make is pretty heavy. Unless you have a personal contact in the USA that can include the spanner in a larger freight order my advice is to contact LeBlond to get a drawing of a spindle nut and look at the many photos of my spanners in this forum. As Digger Doug noted it's pretty easy to come up with a cut file of your own. I've made quite a few over the last decade or so and continue to sell them once in awhile so I'm not inclined to let go of the cutting file.

Good Luck

Walter A

7. Likes Garwood, neanderthal mach liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by johnoder View Post
    Got this today from Walter A. Looks right, fits right, and has the bearing pads where they need to be. I really like the long handle.

John Oder
    How's it been holding up?
    Walter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Walter A View Post
    How's it been holding up?
    Walter

No doubt just fine Walter - but then I sold that lathe and that great hook spanner you made in 2009

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No doubt just fine Walter - but then I sold that lathe and that great hook spanner you made in 2009
    I'm not as active as I once was on the forum, Sorry. My health issues got the better of me last year. I gave my business to my daughter, then as the year progressed I wound up in the Heart Hospital for all of November and December. The doc did a drastic pump rebuild and I'm feeling much better. Unfortunately no more shop work for me.

My daughter is still cutting the spanners for me and either her or I send them out. This forum is my only sales outlet and it will stay that way. The spanners are not a money maker for me. We just want to help out those who need one.

Pretty soon I will need to start selling off my extensive tool collection. Downsizing is tough.

Walter

11. Likes ratbldr427 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    You want to steal the design ?

Why not simply take qty (30) minutes and draw your own on CAD ?
    I don't have any cad software and have never used it.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Walter A View Post
    I see that you are in the UK? I can cut a spanner for you but I would imagine shipping would be pretty costly. An L2 that I make is pretty heavy. Unless you have a personal contact in the USA that can include the spanner in a larger freight order my advice is to contact LeBlond to get a drawing of a spindle nut and look at the many photos of my spanners in this forum. As Digger Doug noted it's pretty easy to come up with a cut file of your own. I've made quite a few over the last decade or so and continue to sell them once in awhile so I'm not inclined to let go of the cutting file.

Good Luck

Walter A
    How much do you charge for them Walter? Yes I'm in the UK, not sure it's worth shipping one tbh. I'll get someone to draw me it up as I don't use cad, the place I use for profiling asked if I had a dxf for it hence asking on here. Cheers for your help.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any cad software and have never used it.
    But you are going to have someone use a CNC plasma cutter once you get that file.

BTW there is plenty of FREE CAD programs out there for you to use.
    So you have NO excuse.

Post Thanks / Like

TheIronTree

It needs to fit which ever draw back nut you happen to have (like L1) and the other end needs to be long enough to suit you.

l-type-nuts.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

CAD - CAM - CNC Plasma - woteva

Back in the day I made patterns for such things from plywood / hardboard (I think you call masonite) and took them to the man on the OA profile burner, ....and they came back a perfect fit, ...a quick rub over with an angle grinder and a coat of paint - job done.

17. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

TheIronTree

It needs to fit which ever draw back nut you happen to have (like L1) and the other end needs to be long enough to suit you.

l-type-nuts.jpg
    As for the handle length keep in mind all the different size chucks you intend to use on the machine. My Sheldon came with several 6" and 8" chucks and the original chuck wrench handle was barely long enough to hold onto with an 8" chuck in place. When I purchased a 10" chuck there wasn't enough of the handle exposed to either loosen or tighten it. That's when I ordered a wrench from Walter. The handle on his wrench is sufficiently long that I can loosen or tighten any chuck I have using only 1 hand.

19. Likes Walter A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How much do you charge for them Walter? Yes I'm in the UK, not sure it's worth shipping one tbh. I'll get someone to draw me it up as I don't use cad, the place I use for profiling asked if I had a dxf for it hence asking on here. Cheers for your help.
    Believe me the shipping cost for an L2 would be much higher than the wrench cost. My L1 and L2 spanners are cut from 5/8" AR400 steel plate. When you get someone to draw it make sure they have the nut drawing. The hook and pad location is crucial to a good fit. Mine are flame cut not plasma so I can keep the edges straight and square. I also touch up the root of the hook with a triangle file to round the corner yet insure a firm connection. The pads are polished so the torch cut surface does not leave marks. The entire spanner is power wire brushed. Other than that no extra work is done.

Good luck,
    Walter

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Walter,
    You made me a wrench some years ago and its still going great. I appreciate it and thank you again for being so kind to make these available. I hope your health issues continue to improve.