What's new
What's new

Wanted, electrical diagram for Alzmetall AB4 SV

jkilroy

Diamond
Long time no post, hows it going? Place sure looks different. Anyone have an electrical diagram for an Alzmetall AB4 SV drill press? I have one and I am only getting about 70 volts out of the control transformer so I am pretty sure it is wired wrong. Contactors won't close with the low voltage as you might expect. Can't read a damn thing inside the box, its all German!

Can't read a damn thing inside the box, its all German!
Though they use the same alfabet
You probably do not understand whats written Its no Chinese
But how difficult can it be
What does that transformer power up A lamp a contactor ? Look what any of those are for voltage and you know what the output of the transformer should be

Peter from holland

Well the transformer is not what I would consider standard like a DC to DC transformer. Instead of a fixed set of inputs and various taps for different outputs, this jewel has one set of outputs and multiple inputs like an AC stepdown transformer, which I am sure it is.. Numbered 1 though 9, with a jumper between two. The number of potential combinations is huge so I can't just start trying them out.

Well figured it out. I took all the wires out of the secondary side. The machine, as I got it, had poles 1 & 2 and 3 & 4 jumpered. I changed the configuration to jumping 2 & 3, checked my output voltage and had 125, everything is working good.

Long time no post, hows it going? Place sure looks different. Anyone have an electrical diagram for an Alzmetall AB4 SV drill press? I have one and I am only getting about 70 volts out of the control transformer so I am pretty sure it is wired wrong. Contactors won't close with the low voltage as you might expect. Can't read a damn thing inside the box, its all German!
Most Alzmetalls are 380 volt input. Is that the case with yours ?

The motor wad wired for 240 allready, but I guess the control transformer had not be changed over. It was originally a 480v machine, came out of a small engine plant in Corinth ms.

Wiring diagram

The motor wad wired for 240 allready, but I guess the control transformer had not be changed over. It was originally a 480v machine, came out of a small engine plant in Corinth ms.

Jkilroy, did you ever get a wiring diagram for your AB4? I have a 1964 AB4/ST and need one? If you have any suggestions on where to get one please let me know. all the best, Jim Johnston Atlanta

Can't read a damn thing inside the box, its all German!

? German isn't hard for an English speaker.

The technical terms are easily translated with online tools, partly because you know what they MUST be about - the electricals, not literature, music, sex, or politics - on the machine in front of you.

'72 BMW said "nur gessen mit beluftung benutzen".

Nur = no other, gessen = gassing-up, be luft ung = be lifted, raised, elevated, benutzen = motor fuel.

'Use only high test gasoline', IOW.

The arcy-sparky stuff won't be that much harder.

Be glad it is an AB rather than Japanese, Korean, Taiwanese/Chinese... or Hindi...

Well figured it out. I took all the wires out of the secondary side. The machine, as I got it, had poles 1 & 2 and 3 & 4 jumpered. I changed the configuration to jumping 2 & 3, checked my output voltage and had 125, everything is working good.
So it wasn't because you were feeding 240 volts to a 380 volt machine ? You got one of the Willis "Americanized" Alzmetalls with the gigantic electrical box ?
"

nope; mine was 440; since I don't have 3 phase at my shop I'm rearranging the wires to 220 3 phase and using a phase converter. runs pretty good; jumped the motor. my trouble is in the switch that controls the push button controls and foot control. when I took the old one out it came apart in my hand. found a good guy with a similar machine in Canada and am hoping to get the wiring scheme from him. fingers crossed.

Back