UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Warning: People finder extra charge:

Warning: People Finder extra charge:
    Looking for my bulldozer guy’s phone number I tried People Finder. They advertised a trial offer of $1.00 to find someone. A deal I thought, but agreeing to terms box check agrees to a 19.95 a month continuing service. My card company called to ask about it and I said that I did use their $1.00 offer but not $19.95 a month. Still it looks like I am stuck to pay the $1.00 and first months $19.99 fee with cancel of this. If I cant cancel I will cancel the card and then have to re-up with Amazon and others that I have a running account with....

Yes People Finder gave enough contact information to get Jeff's number but that was not worth $20.95...Darn.

2. Likes JoeE., bryan_machine liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

my wife ordered a EZpass thruway toll booth electronic device from web site that seemed genuine. She even got the real device she ordered. I checked and saw they were not the official web site to get the devices .
    months later i read business owners were arrested by FBI and it was a business setup to collect credit card info. they gave what people ordered. but the people also gave out their credit card info. they had no need to steal info, people freely give it buying something slightly cheaper.
    some people order really cheap <$10. stuff online figuring they got a deal. these people dont think twice about giving credit card info to people they do not know. sure if business sold nothing and asked for credit card info most would say no. but sell a item for a cheap price and these same people freely turn over credit card info to total strangers

4. Likes Ray Behner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is a common type scam on the free or low cost trial of anything from A-Z these days. I see a lot of ads for all kinds of miracle supplements on TV, they boast "First month for only $1, what do you have to lose". Of course they want credit cards only and then the fine print says you agree to be auto shipped a 30 day supply every month for a whopping $49.95. I noticed another thing with these wonder supplements is they say you have to take them a minimum of 3 months to see results, what a scam.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default learn at home

another common scam is the learn at home scam
    send in $700. for locksmith training or other trade. they send workbooks one at a time. you send in test question answers and they send next workbook. many do not finish so if course is 30 workbooks they might have only received 5 or 10 workbooks and cause they stopped sending in the test answers they stop getting the workbooks
    so if you only got 5 small workbooks for $700. those thin workbooks were very expensive. and no refunds are given. they must make a lot of profit if typical person never finishes all the workbooks

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good I got following People Finder payments canceled so not needing to cancel my card.

so My loss to scam only $19.95

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is a classic example of what I tell my computer repair clients. "It is much easier to hack the operator than the computer". Why steal people's info when they will simply give it to you? No matter how many alerts and warnings I send out, it keeps happening.

In the same vein, always use a credit card on line, not a debit card. If the credit card gets compromised, the most you are legally responsible for is $50. Most credit card companies won't make you pay anything and will send you a new card overnight. If your debit card gets compromised, you're broke until the bank fixes it. My SIL was broke for over a week when it happened to her.

9. Likes bryan_machine, digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wouldn't consider it a "scam"! Didn't they tell you exactly what it was going to cost before you signed on the line?

Stuart

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I pay 9.99 a month for identity theft insurance.

That beats trying to find your money once it has gone to tim buck too.
    A good friend's brother got stuck owing $850K from an investment scam. That pretty much ruined his life. He got a little jail time and a felony rap on his record. He lost the business he was starting because the retailer's bylaws could not trade with anyone with a felony conviction. Had to pay much of his income for about five or seven years..no he was not required to pay it all back. I don't think his income was ever over perhaps $30 or $50K. I think his best job was restaurant manager, He did good at that with almost doubling the sales. Lost that job with the the scam on his back..and he lost his own money invested in the scam.
    The scam: He invested a few bucks and got high, fast return, then told his friends and they invested through him.. when it got up to $850k no check came back to them.
    His crime was giving investment advice with no licence, so it was all on his back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

YouTube

Also, there once was a scam long before computers....
    A classified ad:
    LAST CHANCE! send $1Today to PO box xxxxxxxxx
    Supposedly was wildly successful.

13. Likes michiganbuck liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I got caught once (no pun intended) by a fishing lure late night infomercial. Snoozing on the couch, woke up listening. Just had to have the latest mighty bite. Call the number, because of course the best deal is right then. As soon as you start the purchasing process the hook is set. It's all automated with your card # being the first step. Advertised price a reasonable 9.99, additional kits 50% off or better. No way to ask questions or back up the process. Small additional shipping and handling fee. When all said and done i got out barely under a hundred. The mighty bite truly works, it caught a giant sucker. Of course I've never bitten again. I took it as lesson learned.

15. Likes michiganbuck liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Between Facebook, the county assessor's webpage and some googling, there's almost no need to pay for contact info.

17. Likes atomarc liked this post