What's new
What's new

Warpage of 52100 after heat treat?

Laverda

Cast Iron
I need to make a roller bearing as the old one is not available (made in 1929). The inner part is a shaft which I made out of 8620 and case hardened to RC 62 and ground and all done. It has no cage so don't need to make that. Rollers are standard 1/4" x 1/4" so don't need to make them either. The outer bearing race I am going to make out of 52100. The question I have is how much will this race warp when I quench it? The OD will be ground and the ID will be ground and honed.

The outer race is 1-3/4" OD x 1-15/32" ID x 5/8" wide.

So how big do I make it to compensate for it going out of round after heat treat and not having to grind off a ton of metal? Also, how bad does 52100 oxidize in the oven? Do I need to add a few thou to compensate for the scale I need to grind off? I have never worked with 52100 before.

should not move a lot i woudl turn oversized on all specs. as to decarb 1550 for 20 min would not be too bad but i woudl coat with some kind of protection (i use really thin clay coating). quench woudl be in AAA or other med.fast oil. i dont have that in the shop and use parks 50. post quench but before temper cryo can be done not sure how much you would gain doing that

are you heat treating yourself? maybe look up martempering temperature for the steel.

It's relatively stable, and since you don't need to carbeurize it, I'd only add .005" or less per side to compensate for heat treating.

I had to make a bunch of needle bearing races a while back out of 52100 tubing. 30mm x 34mm x20mm. I left .005" on the id and od. I had a local heat treater do the job and had no scale. Had about 10 pct that wouldn't clean up.

OK, thanks for the replies. I will be doing the heat treat myself and also the grinding and honing. I have a modern fully programmable oven but it has no atmosphere control. So the parts gonna see oxygen when it's red hot unless I put it in SS foil. So it looks like I need to add .010" to the ID and OD. And it sounds like it won't go out of round when I quench it? If I screw it up, can always make another as I had to buy six feet of the 52100 even though I only need 5/8".

Back