What's new
What's new

Washing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blobis

Plastic
I'm making screws out of 4140, then I tumble them dry with small pieces of stainless steel media, i tumble them dry because the rust like crazy, actually works pretty damn good.
But the problem is they get coated with a fine dark metal dust, anyone have any ideas on how to wash them in a sonic cleaner?
Any ideas would be great.

If you are getting faster-than-normal rusting, then probably there is salt somewhere. Wash in dionized water, then dry using a vacuum dessicator. To run the dessicator you will need the dessicator bell itself ($50 on ebay) and a diaphragm vacuum pump (also $50 on ebay).

Your title does leave a lot to be desired. Using a descriptive title makes the sight searchable for others needing the same info.
Depending on how many screws you are doing, you might look at using kerosene as a compound. I use it on steel parts to avoid rust. With abrasive media kerosene speeds cutting. I do it outside to fire risks, and recycle the kerosene by letting it stand so the grit and filings to settle out. Not sure what kerosene will do with stainless media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back