What's new
What's new

Way to improve FM radio reception in shop ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
New shop will just barely receive the FM station I listened to in the old shop (38 miles away). Actually it's ok right at a window but terrible everywhere else. Anything short of an outside antenna that might dramatically improve the reception ?

And FWIW I'm talking $100 radio here....if a $500 system would receive way better I would consider it but suspect it's mostly up to the antenna situation not the quality of the stereo....but you tell me.

Also, I have one of those round Disk powered terk antennas and my experience with those is they are better than a standard FM wire antenna, but not much. However I'm basing that on a 20 year old Terk....maybe they have improved?

Metal buildings are Faraday shields, often nothing works inside. Plan on some sort of outside antenna.

BTW How is the cell phone reception? Mine no workie in the shop...

Cinder block building...440vac transformed down to 220vac. Originally built for injection molding, but now chopped up into several units. Transformers are old and buzzing.
Radio recep sucks!
Finally bought a new radio ($100) and the improved circuitry makes it almost work.

Lee (the saw guy)

Get a portable radio and see how it receives up on your roof. If it works ok a simple vertical whip connected to your main receiver will also work. Or you could just buy a bunch of CD's :)

John

I would have the same issue in my shop with reception. I just use Pandora over my Wi-Fi, $36 a year(Commercial free) and bye bye with your reception issues.

We run a wire from the antenna to the copper airline that runs through the entire building. Fixes the problem.

Everyone suggesting over the internet are correct. That's the easiest way to use Pandora or Iheart radio, or to connect to the station that you want to listen to.

At work, we're in a metal building and we do get the "one" station that everyone likes that's 50 miles away. We hang a wire on a copper pipe, that's connected to many other copper pipes, that runs all over the building. I think we are just lucky to get it.

Or, you can go to satellite radio.:)

Tom

If you're only interested in one station, get an external Yagi antenna mounted on the roof and feed that to the radio.

I tend to use the Interwebs inside the shed, but that fits with the stations I'm interested in hearing and the file server and amp get used for my extensive mp3 collection when I'm not listening to the wireless.

Most radio stations stream online for free these days. Get a computer and wire it to a stereo. Tune into whatever local station you prefer. No need to pay for Internet radio subscription and you still get all the local radio stuff such as news.

We have our shop setup with a Sonos wireless stereo system. We use Sirius and Slacker radio over the net, as well as some local stations from time to time.

If the radio is not far from the window, take a piece of the old TV twin lead antenna wire about 30" long, twist and solder the wires at each end together, cut one conductor in the middle, strip each conductor, attach a length of twin lead to each wire of the center cut and connect the other end to the radio. Tape the 30" piece to the window. If the radio only has a coax connector use a 300 ohm to 75 ohm balun at the radio

Bob
WB8NQW

Most radio stations stream online for free these days.
This one doesn't. Please keep suggestions to antenna related ideas. Re roof antenna, I could do that I suppose but need to move the radio to different areas of shop sometimes. I wonder if there exists some sort of external antenna that would be wired to a repeater inside shop, where the repeater would wirelessly feed strong signal to any FM radio in the building ?

Are the Radio Shack FM boosted antennas any good? I'm tempted to try one.
If it's what I think it is, it's a Terk antenna as I mentioned earlier. Slightly better than a wire and can make a small improvement sometimes. But in my case I need a major improvement and doubt a Terk will do it.

Re FM repeaters, it appears it can be done, but only as DIY project as FCC regulations have inhibited them from being manufactured for sale.

I am going through the same thing now. The cause is the new 230-460 transformer installed for a hydraulic test rig. The only fixes I have found so far are moving the radio to my other unit, or having the door open by the shop which is fine for now but once the ac system is in that wont be possible. I have resorted to CDs and MP3 players for the time being when the weather is bad.

just my 2Cents worth but FM reception depends on weather conditions. when the weather changes from hot to cold and back, inversion layers sometimes cause problems with reception. Here in Louisiana, i cannot pick up local stations, but get clear reception from Texas and Mississippi. Another thing is that most FM antennas in small radios are in the power cord. Remember to stretch out the Power cord fully and be careful not to run it parallel with other wires that carry large currents.

Back