What's new
What's new

Way OT-Can you use PEX A without an expansion tool

crossthread

Titanium
Well I have seen questions about air hose fittings so this is not but so OT. I bought a set of freeze proof faucets and they came supplied with PEX A fittings. I don't know squat about PEX because I have been using copper for the last fifty years. I bought a cheap set of PEX crimpers thinking I would go with the flow and probably use them someday. Come to find out there are three kinds of PEX and what I need is the type that uses an expansion tool, which I refuse to buy since I will never use it again. My question is this. Has anyone else run into this and found a workaround for not having the expansion tool. No place I checked rents it although they do rent the compression type (which I now own but is useless in this case). Thanks very much.

It only takes about 30 seconds per fitting to do the expansion. I would take the valve to a plumber and have them expand on a stub of PEX A. They also need to have the plastic expansion ring. A box of donuts or some cheap pizza seems like it would cover it.

You can then use a crimp at the other end of the stub. Can convert back to copper, if you like.

Make sure your valve isn't PEX / copper already. There is a style that is PEX on the outside and slip fit for copper tubing on the inside.

I have installed a lot of pex in rental houses and had never seen that type i learnd something here. There was a few youtubes on doing the expansion without the right tool

Yes I watched a youtube where some guy heated the end of the tubing and shoved it over the end of the fitting with no collar. I was not impressed. This fitting is definitively PEX A only. I wish there was a way to cut off the PEX and sweat on a copper fitting but the back of the fitting is actually the seat for the rubber seal. The seal is all the way at the back as part of the PEX fitting. Very much like a frost free hydrant as it is made to drain the water out of the faucet.

.faucet.jpg

Can you return the faucet and get another one with the correct fittings? I don't think it would be a good idea to try use it without the expansion. You might be able to install with heat but it probably wouldn't spring back the same and be as tight. That or see if you've got a plumber friend who might help out with the stubs.

I think you may be confused with regards to the PEX A/B. Both can use ANY fitting but you should only use expansion fittings with Pex A. The Pex B formulation will still work but in testing doesnt have the memory with expansion. While I could well be wrong, Im pretty sure you can crimp a pex sleeve (the copper ring) onto any expansion fitting. The only connection I have seen not recommended on the expansion type fittings is the cinch clamp/oetiker style clamps.

eKretz .. After calling around to a few shops I have now learned that this (PEX A) is referred to as a Uponor fitting. It only works with the special expanding tool and you can't use any type of compression fitting. Unfortunately this style of faucet only comes with this type of fitting so sending it back will not work. I am calling around to some plumbing shops to see if I can find someone with that tool on their truck. Thanks.

Back