What's new
What's new

Way OT - Ever had a famous painting reproduced ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
There are speciality places on the web that would hand (oil) paint something like below for like 250 to 400 bucks in 20 x 30" size and supposedly it would be so much like the original you'd have to be an expert to see the difference ! Which I find astounding for the money if so. Once finished they email photos and you don't have to accept it if you don't agree. Anyone here with actual experience on this sort of thing have comments ?

IMG_7613.jpg

This is a cottage industry in some countries, often employing local artists to do the work as a form of practicing. I think it's OK so long as it is clearly stated and marked as a student copy. That is how art students learn -- by copying from the masters. As an artist and a painter from a past life I find the practice of charging money and making a business out of copies to be disgusting.

I recall Olin Mills chain stores offered a service where they took a good pix, and added
"brush marks" somehow.

It's a gray area....I can see both sides of the coin.

But as life goes on, I get less and less sympathetic toward this animal we call the 'artist' and it's constant whining and prima donna behavior.

Artists like to bitch about their rights to their creative product, but they have no problem painting with Chinese knock-off brushes, paints, or other supplies. Among a million other ideas they use which have been ripped off by someone else and sold to them. But they're special.

An artist wants to get paid over and over and over for one job. But he'd have a heart attack if the plumber who fixed his toilet showed up every week for more money...after all, the plumber only did one job

Then, you have all the descendants getting their hands filthy with the money. Does anyone born in 1980 really deserve to get paid for something Van Gogh did 100 years prior?

Artists like to bitch about their rights to their creative product, but they have no problem painting with Chinese knock-off brushes, paints, or other supplies.

Those are not professional artists. Doesn't matter of they get paid, that does not determine what professionalism is. A pro uses best materials and practices with a known provenance, ALL the time.

BTW, It's not the artists who want to get paid forever. Most of them don't care, as long as the get attribution for the work they do. -- its the publishers and the lawyers that want to get paid forever.

Point being, the situation as far more nuanced than you make it out to be.

In my day job, I'm classified as a welder. Guess what, I deal with prima donnas all the time. Its part of human nature. After all, you should be able to do good work on a Harbor Freight lathe, shouldn't you?

It may be OT but the subject is relevant because it has to do with compensation for one's work.

Like others who had a previous life as an artist I am angered by the fact that a Van Gogh can be sold for 80 million to a snob collector, while the poor tortured fucker didn't get squat for it when he lived. Gallery hype is a major factor in the profits being made mostly by dealers rather than by the artists. Some years ago when we were making stupid money I got pretty close to spending $12K for a Leroy Neiman but came to my senses when I realized I was being fawned over and that gratification was a large part of the purchase price.

Anyway, there's a fine line between a repro and a counterfeit. That's why if you're good enough to be allowed to paint a copy in a museum it has to be scaled down from the original. The value of a piece of art being almost entirely subjective, a perfect counterfeit really ought to be its objective equal...and for many people it is. Only when it includes a counterfeit signature does it become criminal. Too bad for the original artist, but everybody in that world, from professors to gallery owners, is so ludicrously pretentious and self-absorbed that I cannot generate any sympathy. Now, if somebody copies my machined product and does the usual half-assed job, meh, I don't care. If somebody ever manages a perfect copy they'll have earned my admiration, however reluctant.

I have yet meet a single artist who doesn't bitch about not getting paid enough for his work. That includes some who are pulling in big money. As for gallery owners? They're the price the artist pays for not being competent business people. No one stops an artist from developing basic business skills and marketing their own work.

It's kinda funny...the world's most sensitive and caring and good people - artists - just happen to be the most catty, back-stabbing, and otherwise superficial people as well. Huh? The art world is full of bad actors, top to bottom. They made a filthy nest for themselves.

It's a common scam...the value of a painting is artificially inflated amongst cronies until someone finally is left holding the bag. It happens in the auto world, sometimes, too.

There's an excellent art-forger film anyone who likes painting should see, if you haven't already.

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Craft-Mark-Landis/dp/B00QSNNPCS

Once a piece is old enough to be in the public domain, I can't see why it isn't fair game, as long as you're not trying to pass it off as the original. There's one resolute desk. There are so many copies that the US government sells them direct. One for each lawyer with $8000 to blow and a need to feel presidential. Why would paintings be different? It's no different than buying a print.

My mother who recently passed away at 99 was a very accomplished artist. She did portraits and copies for people all over the world. She was often commissioned to paint copies for museums of paintings on loan from the owners. She always painted on the back of the canvas that it was in fact a copy and signed it herself. She did this with lead paint and said that even if the painting was relined, an xray would reveal this fact and her signature.

In 1850, my great great grandfather lived across the street from an artist. Another neighbor, many years later, told a newspaper reporter of how the artist enlisted townspeople to model for his paintings. He identified one of the subjects in a famous painting as "the Vanice boy," my great grandfather's big brother. So I bought large color inkjet "giclee" prints on canvas of that painting and another that looks like it has the same kid. The pictures look great on my wall. I have been up close to the original of one of them hanging in a museum and know that you cannot see brush strokes or canvas weave in the original. It has a very smooth, somewhat glossy surface, possibly caused by a clear varnish top coat. I know that other artists in different times and traditions have incorporated thick brush strokes and even palette knife smear texture into their work.

Years ago, I was amused to see that you could buy mass-produced prints of paintings by a very popular commercial artist with hand-applied thick clear goo brush strokes added at much higher cost. A dubious product of dubious value. I think the inkjet prints are fairly priced, and you can get about anything ever painted that has been photographed, in many different sizes and on paper or canvas.

If I wanted to fill a blank wall, I could do worse than getting a big copy of Coalbrookdale by Night.
Coalbrookdale by Night by Loutherbourg. History Repro choose Canvas or Paper | eBay

Actually, the Henry Ford Museum actually did fill a wall with a copy of that painting, next to their Maudsley lathes.

DSC01690.jpg

Larry

This is a cottage industry in some countries, often employing local artists to do the work as a form of practicing. I think it's OK so long as it is clearly stated and marked as a student copy. That is how art students learn -- by copying from the masters. As an artist and a painter from a past life I find the practice of charging money and making a business out of copies to be disgusting.

In 2019 I visited Dafen village, outside of Shenzhen. I'm sure the company the OP mentioned commissions artists in Dafen or someplace similar. This is one of the centers of the painting reproduction industry in China. The people employed there were clearly quite skilled and were doing a mix of copies of famous works, pieces that weren't copies but were "to order" (such as generic landscapes and still lives, portraits done from photographs etc) and finally what I would call "original" works (i.e. attributed/signed to an individual artist, not directly imitating another work, potentially recognizable style). The second category (generic paintings to-order) were the most numerous, with both copies of famous originals and "actual" originals much fewer in number. Despite the giant-faceless-factory-full-of-drones stereotype of Chinese production, most of the painting workshops were very small, seemingly family or sole-proprietor run storefronts. There was clearly a lot of competition between them for both Chinese and international customers. Lots of specialization by style/genre and significant marketing efforts including some of the more successful workshops having large galleries and professional salespeople like you would find in any other cosmopolitan arts district. It already seemed like most of the painting workshops were actually moving away from selling outright copies, perhaps sensing that that business model was ultimately not the best way to attract an international clientele. Oh, and there were already a few "painting machines" at work there, so I'm sure the proportion of skilled artists employed there is declining, perhaps to be replaced eventually by a giant automated factory.

Here's a photo I took of a couple oil painters working in their shop in Dafen:
IMG_20191025_125620.jpg

While the craftsmanship on display was impressive, the intent in reproducing these works was clearly to provide decorative copies, not forgeries. For example, many of the copies were clearly painted with acrylics, compared to oil originals. Oils are commonly seen as more prestigious and perhaps more authentic to the originals, but they take a lot longer to dry so unsuited to this kind of production environment. It's easy to visually tell the difference once you know how, but most of their customers I suspect don't know or don't care. It's difficult for me to get too upset at these businesses of making copies- they are clearly produced in bulk for decorative purposes, just a more skilled version of buying a inkjet print of Starry Night. Not fooling anyone and not trying to. Most of these I'm sure go to outfit hotels or other large interiors that need decoration in bulk.

pavt said:
Those are not professional artists. Doesn't matter of they get paid, that does not determine what professionalism is. A pro uses best materials and practices with a known provenance, ALL the time.

BTW, It's not the artists who want to get paid forever. Most of them don't care, as long as the get attribution for the work they do. -- its the publishers and the lawyers that want to get paid forever.

Not to pick on you again pavt, but in my experience these two statements are not really accurate. There is no stable idea of "professionalization" in art. The only somewhat stable but still poor surrogate we have for it is consistent gallery representation and/or commercial success. That kind of success can have very little to do with using "best materials and practices with a known provenance". I've known ultra successful artists who make work with literal garbage. I've seen work made decades ago with now-decaying cardboard, foam or cheap melamine sell for millions. I've also seen artists who have built incredibly impressive careers and are fully canonized within the art history books who have made works that are intentionally and specifically fabricated with materials that have no art historical precedent or provenance, materials that are probably more familiar to PM members than they are to most other artists.

Finally, the idea of artists not wanting to get paid later on for their work isn't really true either. The increasing financialization of the art world within the last 20-30 years has lead to many scenarios where the original artist remains financially destitute while their work sells for incredible amounts on the "secondary market" (i.e. dealers/collectors selling to dealers/collectors, rather than the artist selling direct). This has resulted in a lot of discussion around resale royalties, including creation of new laws in some places. Keep in mind that the number of art school graduates has increased at the same time as the art market has exploded (along with cost of living increases in art world centers), so there is a significant constituency behind these laws who see resale royalties as a type of basic labor protection. One of the latest attempts to give artists a cut of secondary market sales is the currently-trendy NFT. While in my opinion there are significant issues with NFTs, it shows that this problem of dealers making incredible sums while the original artists don't is certainly on many artist's minds.

FWIW my credentials here are I have been involved in the contemporary art world for 10+ years in both professional, amateur and social capacities and so has my partner. Many of my friends are artists at all different levels and degrees of success in the "art world" system and we've worked in and dealt with museums, small and large galleries, biennials, various nonprofits etc. Worked in other peoples organizations and run my own (small) ones a couple times. The odd thing about the so-called art world though is that it is so fractal and full of isolated pockets and scenes that someone like pavt probably has a completely different view of it than I do, and same with my view compared to some of my friends.

Oh also, while I love artists I also definitely agree with GregSY that "the world's most sensitive and caring and good people - artists - just happen to be the most catty, back-stabbing, and otherwise superficial people as well" :). Definitely many bad actors as well. However, it's not so simple as artists becoming better business people and cutting out the middlemen. It's very tricky to understand where exactly demand comes from in the art world- there are certainly massive, massive asset bubbles propping up large sectors of the art market (like in many other markets at the moment). There is also widespread and related practice of art used as a financial instrument by the ultra-wealthy. But also there is a set of interlocking academic, social and nonprofit systems that are maintained by these middlemen, which artists in turn rely on for support and promotion. One thing a lot of people overlook is that it takes a specific kind of work to present an artists work to a larger audience (a prerequisite to selling), and many artists don't have the skills or aren't interested. Its incredibly complex and definitely shady, but I think most systems aimed at disruption of the existing market (such as NFTs) preserve some place for these middlemen to maintain the fabric of the art world that artists (and otherwise-unrelated art appreciators) rely on. Whether this is a good or bad thing for art or artists in the long term, I can't really say.

I hoped to convey by my mention of "famous" painters (i.e.mostly dead) and my example from the 1800's that I'm talking about art that would be a million bucks but mostly non existent on the open market, and therefore one would be taking zero potential income from the original artist or his heirs for that matter to have a reproduction of same. I also was presuming the reproduction would be quite obvious to any art dealer it was not an original, but hoping it would be close enough to satisfy my eyeballs.

I recall Olin Mills chain stores offered a service where they took a good pix, and added
"brush marks" somehow.

Yes, I remember visiting an art museum years ago (can't remember which one) that sold fairly pricy copies that were done that way. They really did look like oil paintings, even up close and you would probably need a magnifier to spot the difference. Many old works have a thin varnish coating over the oils and that's what the process was trying to simulate. As I recall there was also some trickery with the photography, which was done on special huge format cameras.

This came out on Vice a few nights ago My Fake Picasso Went to Auction at $1.4 Million - YouTube, I have no qualms about a copy if it is represented as a copy.

I modeled for a lifesize bronze statue as a child, had a chance to buy it about 20 years ago but got beat by deeper pockets. The new owner cheaped out on moving it and hired a tow truck to lift, maybe transport it, in the process an arm was broken off. It sat in a barn for next 10 years, then owner got divorced and the wife supposedly got it, last I heard it had been repaired and was sitting in her parents garden. Kind of pisses me off, it would look great in front of my place.

If you own the right to reproduce the painting then its perfectly fine. But if you or the entity making the reproduction does not own or pay for that right then its stealing.

The work might be in the public domain or not. Old things might be.

No. Old things ARE. There is no "might be." If it was made before 1933, it is in the public domain, unless it is a trade secret like the formula for Coca Cola.

The continual erosion of the public domain for the benefits of the Disneys of the world is, IMHO, one of the biggest mistakes we've made in the past few decades. It's entirely possible nothing will ever go into the public domain ever again. Money talks. But you can't retroactively take away things already in the public domain, like the paintings in question.

Back