Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    Sheep? …..or goats they're better at looking after themselves.
    Definitely Shawn the sheep....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sheep? …..or goats they're better at looking after themselves.
    American Bison, or Asia's far more docile domesticated "water buffalo", then!

Africa's "Cape buffalo" is a tad TOO good that "looking after themselves" part!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Skag (and other high-end commercial brands I'm sure) offer zero-turns with a full-floating suspension system for the operator's seat and controls.

Other makers have full-suspension systems on the mower frame.

For fun, research some of the critical specs on the zero-turns: deck thickness, blade bearing and housing size/materials, size of drive wheel motors, brand/type of main motor, seat quality and features, ease of cleaning under deck, deck mounting system/hardware, etc.

The commercial-grade mowers definitely come with hefty price tags, but the features and overall more-robust builds are probably worth the extra money.

4. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

People laugh at my old school zero turn it is 26 hp slow moving 82 inch cut 48 inch center deck with two wing mowers I do for acresLots of trees and on even ground

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ZT experience; Buy a good seat, it's necessary. Do NOT cut the same path every cycle, you will groove the turf. Get one with a heavy deck (min 7 ga), the spindles won't bend the deck when you hit the inevitable solid object. 25 HP minimum for 50" deck, larger deck more HP. Look for ease of cleaning under the deck, some are much better than others. Buy only a commercial rated unit. Never ever consider a toy tractor style mower. Try several for at least one hour each, because they will be expensive.

99¢

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One thing to consider- are you going to bag it? Some people gonna think I am crazy, but I mow about 5 acres, and I bag most of it. I walk between my 10 buildings all the time, and if I dont bag, my house has wall to wall grass clippings.Zero turns are great, but, usually, not set up for, or very good at, bagging.I run a 500 series John Deere riding lawnmower instead, big blower, triple bags, and its got 4 wheel steering. Its just as manueverable as a Zero Turn, but more suited to lawns, as opposed to field, mowing. Also pricey, of course. New, most of the good Zero Turns are ten grand and up, the commercial ones mentioned above with suspension can hit the $15k range pretty quick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Now that I think about it, 3-5 acres is kinda high. 1-3 would be more accurate.

I'd only get a commercial mower, a light residential just won't last. Neighbors pretty much use zero turns exceedingly for mowing their yards. Being out in the country, most yards are quite large.

Quote Originally Posted by GregSY View Post
    Hell, I'll sell you my old Rhino FM72 cheap....
    I'd be interested, would certainly be cheaper than a zero turn. I'll send you a PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by alskdjfhg View Post
    Now that I think about it, 3-5 acres is kinda high. 1-3 would be more accurate. .
    That's no problem, fewer sheep or goats needed

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's no problem, fewer sheep or goats needed
    I'll have some small livestock one day. But that's totally not going to happen right now right now.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by alskdjfhg View Post
    I'll have some small livestock one day. But that's totally not going to happen right now right now.
    Do some basic online research. There are SEVERAL Texas-climate-capable, drought-resistant to wet soil span inclusive, tough, perennial "creeping" ground covers that will max-out at 4" to 6" high, genetically, never NEED "mowing'.

Most will also "put down" competitors by preventing germination and growth by shading grass and OTHER weeds ('coz a "weed' is what grass IS if you ain't feeding grazing animals directly or making it into HAY).

Not enough sunlight = failed germination.

Old Skewl English Ivy in the back (North side of the house) showed me that over a period of 25+ years as it just kept on relentlessly displacing grass and weeds,

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For God's sake do not use kudzu!

Tom

14. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I doubt a ZTR will mow "3X as fast" as a conventional mower. I think there is a formula that covers the ability to mow grass, though I don't know what it is. But.....the idea is you can only advance so fast if you want a good cut. Go faster and you start to lose cut quality and/or the ability to handle grass height. I guess if you're cutting grass today that you just cut yesterday, you can haul ass.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I doubt a ZTR will mow "3X as fast" as a conventional mower. I think there is a formula that covers the ability to mow grass, though I don't know what it is. But.....the idea is you can only advance so fast if you want a good cut. Go faster and you start to lose cut quality and/or the ability to handle grass height. I guess if you're cutting grass today that you just cut yesterday, you can haul ass.
    They will cut 3X faster but depends somewhat on the lawn layout. The increased productivity is not due to going faster but in eliminating wasted cut time in turns and while maneuvering.

17. Likes WHHJR, digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My 4 wheel steering John Deere will turn just as tight as a zero turn. Speed of cuttting is, as mentioned, related to quality of cut. If you are just wacking it off at 3" or so, you can go very fast- we call that "field" mowing around here. And if you want 1 1/2" ht, putting green/croquet course level of finish, and bag it, its gonna be slower, obviously. Sounds like what you are doing is field mowing, so you want horsepower- minimum of 25hp- to get the job done quick. And you need to be pretty regular, if you have fast growing things like I do, thistles, nettles, blackberries. I have to hit them every 10 days or so, or its 4 feet tall and then I need the tractor with the bush hog.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Interesting this thread appears now!
    I have 3 acres, mostly flat, lots of trees.
    Have a 1994 Kubota G1800S, works fine, but I was spending more time on repairs than I wanted to.
    Took delivery on a Kubota ZD1211 Friday!
    I complained to the sales person that the steering wheel is missing....
    My back is a mess, the ZD1211 has a very well sprung and multi-adjustable seat.
    The old Kubota left me in pain after a mowing session. New one = back is OK after mowing.
    Taking me a while to get accustomed to steering w/ the sticks, but am getting better.
    The ZD1211 is extremely powerful. Wants to go much faster than I am comfortable with, right now.
    I typically only mow in months that start with the letter "J".
    (Unless SWMBO instructs me otherwise)
    Grass is usually a foot or 3. Bahia, mostly.
    ZD lets me mow at a much higher speed than the old G1800S, so I finish faster.
    Like it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Friend bought a ztr to do just what your doing, was cutting between his buildings with a tractor with 6 ft finish mower and edging with a regular riding mower. He bought a diesel Kubota ztr that was the biggest one offered at the time and not the smallest deck but only 60”. Turned a 3-4 hr job to a 1 hr job and since it’s a diesel and not turning a large deck he could cut tall Bahia grass for a bit if he slowed down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy2 View Post
    They will cut 3X faster but depends somewhat on the lawn layout. The increased productivity is not due to going faster but in eliminating wasted cut time in turns and while maneuvering.

OK but then you are really talking lawn specifics rather than mowing ability. For the average 'field of grass' where there are no obstacles, a ZTR won't be any faster or minimally so. I guess you could 'design' a lawn around a ZTR such that a tractor could never mow it thereby making the comparison Infinity:1

The other thing I thought of is I have used my tractor to pull my neighbor's ZTR out of the mud at least 5 times. It seems to have very little ability to navigate soggy ground. The tractor isn't even close to getting stuck. Of course, he's usually cutting when he shouldn't be cutting when he gets stuck....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

OK but then you are really talking lawn specifics rather than mowing ability. For the average 'field of grass' where there are no obstacles, a ZTR won't be any faster or minimally so. I guess you could 'design' a lawn around a ZTR such that a tractor could never mow it thereby making the comparison Infinity:1

The other thing I thought of is I have used my tractor to pull my neighbor's ZTR out of the mud at least 5 times. It seems to have very little ability to navigate soggy ground. The tractor isn't even close to getting stuck. Of course, he's usually cutting when he shouldn't be cutting when he gets stuck....
    A ZTR is for mowing a "LAWN", and countless people have proven it's much faster
    when used to mow....wait for it .... a "LAWN".

The "Field of Grass" is to be "cut" , "tedded" and then "Bailed".

MY boss thinks the world of the Economy "Power King" lawn tractors.
    Thinks that hydraulics waste energy (that they do) and are more complicated
    than the old gear driven "power kings"...That they are as well.

But they excell in one thing "CONTROL"..... both speed and direction.

And that comes at a cost.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    West Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

About 5 years ago I bought a Kubota F2560 4wd w/a 72" deck. This is a front mower- It's like a tractor turned around backwards and the seat facing backwards with the steering wheel of course mounted so you can reach it. Here in WV we are not big on flat ground and I was a little worried about how the zero turns would do. People said you figure out how to make it work but that was not real convincing. Probably in TX this is not as much of an issue but there are other advantages. I mow a lot of edges and it's nice having the mower get into the bushes before i do. And it is stout. The big disadvantage is the price (about 25k) but used $10k and less which is how I got mine.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Deal View Post
    About 5 years ago I bought a Kubota F2560 4wd w/a 72" deck. This is a front mower- It's like a tractor turned around backwards and the seat facing backwards with the steering wheel of course mounted so you can reach it. Here in WV we are not big on flat ground and I was a little worried about how the zero turns would do. People said you figure out how to make it work but that was not real convincing. Probably in TX this is not as much of an issue but there are other advantages. I mow a lot of edges and it's nice having the mower get into the bushes before i do. And it is stout. The big disadvantage is the price (about 25k) but used $10k and less which is how I got mine.
    I have heard that the "grasshopper" style front mower, rear tailwheel ZTR's
    don't like hills, as much as the newer rear engine, front swivel wheels models.

However, the mower out front is nice for as you said, under trees.