What's new
What's new

Way OT...too lazy to start work so I took a picture out my window.

Status
Not open for further replies.

implmex

Diamond
The title says it all...I've worked a lot in the last 3 weeks and made some great money, so I just don't feel like getting started this morning.
It's a gorgeous fall day, there's no risk of catching Covid sittin' all alone in my shop with my coffee this morning, and unlike so many in these terrible times, I have money in the bank and blessings to count.
So here's a way OT picture of two seagulls who were strutting comically outside my window this morning...it's a totally machining irrelevant feel-good moment I thought I'd share.

For me...life's pretty good right now, so for all who are having a tough time...I wish you well and hope it all gets better soon.

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

Attachments

• DSCN5256.jpg
    DSCN5256.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 484
In before the idle chit chat lock. Since it is an inversion day and it's socked in here with a cold east wind my machine is running. It was nice in Portland yesterday though, good day to get rid of my chips.

Marcus, glad you are getting some time off.

I feel like I have PTSD after the last 18 months . . . building a nice new facility, watching aerospace and supporting industries dry up due to 737Max issues followed by COVID-19 locking up things for several months. Layoffs in June, and unsteady recovery starting in July - we will end the year at roughly 85% of our normal volume but with a dramatically different mix of business that isn't as profitable. I kept my building and my home by the skin of my teeth and looking forward to a better 2021.

My feel good photo - wish I could be as relaxed about life as Vern and Earl and the cats.

ACtC-3cZ9awIjERRJnen5NoOpxLulbu6ZDUlFW84jtjEaHAXSTsxEjbmPRY4lJsXZ57lqnwqOtL-OQJPbMmAXvqGVQrJBHkORc_-h7WqhD0shhQQRKkqNZCdAwEEr6hdH2ovrcBO-VqCL7jGQsB4vC9mgKSdHw=w352-h737-no

You should never complain about taking time off. I've had a welding/fabricating/machining business since
1969 and I've reached the age where I don't do Saturdays anymore. For many years though I was a six day
a week guy and now, looking back at what I did, i realize that I spent way too much time at the shop and not
enough with my family and, sometimes, just relaxing.

It's 12:15 and, now that it's warming up, I'm gonna get dressed and go do some birdwatching. And by the way,
those are Glaucous-winged Gulls; very common in our area...

Hi motion guru:
Man I feel for you...I've always looked to your journey as one of those success stories to admire and cheer on.
I had no idea you got hammered so hard, and I'm greatly relieved to hear you survived it...a few new batter marks, but most of the relevant bits still attached from the sounds of it.

It seems sometimes the shit is just gonna fall on you no matter what you do.
It's a tragedy when it falls on someone who doesn't deserve it, and passes by someone who richly does, but I guess there's no rule in Heaven that says it all has to be fair.

I guess it also points out that you can never get too complacent about how good it all is going and how you can relax now and spring for that new boat (or airplane, or car or whatever).
I'm immensely pleased to hear you are still in one piece, and I will be on the sidelines cheering for a better 2021 for you ...lets hope for MUCH better.

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

here is some photos....one out the front showing the sun king sunflowers i planted, a sunset view on the drive home one year, rhubarb and the melbourne fireworks.
no fireworks this year they cancelled it due to covid.
they where right side up before attachment but pm has done its own thing....
IMG_2843.jpg
IMG_2846.jpg
IMG_3069.jpg
IMG_3215.jpg
IMG_3656.jpg

Marcus, glad you are getting some time off.
My feel good photo - wish I could be as relaxed about life as Vern and Earl and the cats.

One can do dogs as it not fair. Is this on the shop floor?
I allow such not owner but employees. If my dog should be here why not those that work for me also.
Your dogs get cut some slack. Do you also do the same to employees and their pets?
It would suck it only the big boss's dogs where the only accepted into the family or team no matter how well behaved yours may be.
Bob

You wanna eat a sky rat? :D
So that would make it a French recipe? Sauteed in butter and shallots with a nice cream sauce and herbs? Then stuffed with fontina and chanterelles and finished in the oven at 350 for 20 minutes.

Shit, we're in America, any idea what the chicken we eat has been through? The chlorinated bath at the end is only the first thing to worry about.

Nice photo.

I have gotten some of my best ideas when I was just relaxing or doing something totally irrelevant to my work. I often worked on tough problems that others would not even touch and some times had completely failed at. I can remember many times when I had the solutions just pop into my head while doing other, more relaxing things. Lunch and other break times are often the most productive times of the work day.

There is a very good case for taking some relaxing time. And the idiot, bean-counting managers will not, apparently CAN not understand this.

One can do dogs as it not fair. Is this on the shop floor?
I allow such not owner but employees. If my dog should be here why not those that work for me also.
Your dogs get cut some slack. Do you also do the same to employees and their pets?
It would suck it only the big boss's dogs where accepted into the family.
Bob

Nope, photo is from the side porch at home - no shop time for me today. We do let seeing eye dogs in training at work, but that is it.

I got fired at the end of last year, and found a new job that I started on January 20 2020. I went from about 60 hours a week, out of town 2 to 3 nights every week, sometimes out at jobsites for weeks at time to 37.5 hours. I took a small cut in pay, got my grandson hired as my chauffer/assistant on Fridays and all week when he is off from school, and I am home every night at 5:00 pm. Got my 26' sailboat that has not been in the water 12 years ready to launch this coming April. Currently doing upgrades and varnishing that weren't necessary but enjoyable. Haven't missed a day of work, currently taking Mondays off to use up my vacation time. Doing a good job at work, wearing my N95 mask all day every day to protect against stupid, and just chillin. Actually a pretty good year in spite of it all.

Very sorry to hear that it has been so bad for so many others. I fear the worse though is yet to come in the new year. Just following in the foot steps of that guy Noah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back