Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Old news:
    Ford bringing back buttons after touchscreen distraction fears - SlashGear

2-Second Rule for Distracted Driving Can Mean Life or Death - The New York Times
    IRRC the NHTSA recommendation was about to become requirement in near future.

Haptic feedback tech for touchscreens exist but it has not gained much use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a Ford truck with a big screen and Apple CarPlay. It works great partly because the buttons are big and easy to hit quickly. The map feature is vastly superior to paper since it offers voice directions so you don’t have to take your eyes off the road. The radio can be controlled by buttons on screen, voice control, steering wheel buttons or knobs and buttons set up the old way.

However, the basic functions of the truck are run by knobs and buttons. The knobs are big and easy to get to as they should be. So, you have the option to use all the features or to ignore them and do it the old way. I find this combination to be an excellent solution. You just need to figure out what works best for your needs.

I have driven cars where everything is on the screen and absolutely hated it. Hard to figure out what does what and then the buttons on screen are too small to hit quickly. Probably worked great in the stationary test cell, not at all in a moving car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

2016 Volvo XC90 (bought used December 2018).... I bought the SUV thinking I'd get used to the touch screen situation...but I grew to loathe it. Simple things like changing the heat or AC temperature, or changing the vents that were open or closed required one to not only take eyes off road but to have a steady finger to touch the right icon exactly...problematic on a bumpy road. Even non touch screen functions like changing radio from FM to Sirius and such required pushing a button on the steering wheel and another button to to scroll down and hit select.

Insane...safest car in the world in a wreck but more likely to cause you to have a wreck in the first place due to systems manipulations while driving. If one complains of all this to Volvo folks you get the response you can use voice command. What a joke that is.... you have to know how to phase your request, there is a delay and sometimes it doesn't work due to road noise or less than perfect enuciation.

All ridiculous compared to just reaching down (without even needing to look) and turning a knob on prior models. I noticed later that Consumer Reports made a comment about these new models have "frustrating" command centers...wish I had read that before I bought it.

Having owned it for only a few months, I traded the SUV on a new Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara ! Even though the (used) Volvo seemed quite a deal at the time, still lost $$ on the trade, but was worth doing.

4. Likes hanermo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For *most* driving use a screen is a horrible idea for immediate stuff.
    One wants and *needs* a fast, immediate, positive tactile-feel action for wipers, immediate sound-off, indicators, etc..

A screen is great for maps, but I don´t like the tsla down/out screen.
    A bigger better screen is definitely much better for nav.
    Yet, a 70$ tom tom does fine.
    For adjusting audio levels, seats, charging, air con, etc. a screen is probably fine and possibly better.
    Much as I dislike the tsla screen, while liking the cars/company, users seem to be happy and they adjust fine.

Our Nissan Qashqai+R has a decent screen and nav, we mostly don´t use.
    A dashboard mounted Samsung phone is much better for navigation.

I drive mostly in Spain in often chaotic traffic at high incidence speeds.
    Following the actual traffic rules in roundabouts or intersections would lead to a crash within 10 minutes, more or less every major city roundabout.
    I would never/don´t use or look at a screen in such situations.

95% of drivers/users are not aware and 95% of time it does not matter.
    And in the 5% of 5%, 80% of cases are minor or no issue/accident.

I just don´t ever want to repeat picking up little kids in safety seats + mother and driving them to the hospital, after their 60 km/h impact to a light pole.
    Screens (console) in cars and texting/messaging like whatsapp should be locked and auto-fined at 20$ per message, imo.
    Whatsapp knows if you are driving.

Hands-free calling is fine, so is the app-whatever reading your messages to you.
    Replies like yes/no/late 10 min via steering wheel controls are fine.
    Anything off-view like using a screen is bad.

Even charging a 20$ fee for every message sent while driving would probably be ok, and save 1000+ lives per year.
    I would very much support that, and would very much pay that 20$ every 5 years if something is truly important.

Personal anecdotes deleted xxx

Conclusion:
    Dislike screens that are much out of sight.
    Would love huds, with minimal stuff only. No cute endless icons !
    A few basic twirly buttons can do anything necessary, that is not critical, and hud or screens up near fov can provide info.

Prefer buttons for windows, seats, etc. but prefer a 2000$ lower price more.
    A complex modern high spec car probably costs 200$ in wiring, switches, cable looms for seats, windows, mirrors, sunroof, etc. in marginal costs and thus approx 2000$ retail.
    A screen is fine for adjusting seats, windows, sunroof etc at 2000$ discount retail.

A car is not a yacht (minimal movement possible in collisions) aircraft or spaceship enterprise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As Milacron #43, +42, +41 said.
    And I tried to articulate why.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mid-trim F-150 XLT is the sweet spot for me (yes I am what some would call a "millenial" being under 30). Two screens on the vehicle: one small one in the center of the instrument panel, one at the top of the center stack on the dash. Neither one a touch screen.

The one in the instrument panel is controlled by the steering wheel, and it's useful for cycling through information like fuel economy, tire pressure, system temps, etc. while driving.

On the dash, it's a 3" portal to the rear view camera, as 9100 mentioned, it's good for looking at things right outside your bumper (hooking up a trailer or backing up when close to things). Otherwise, it displays time, radio information, ambient temp, etc. All else is a physical button or dial.

My wife has a car with the touch screen and I hate it.

I suppose my thought lies in having a flexible display that can show many different things as needed, but forcing the driver to look at it to command anything is insane, so I'll add my pitch fork to the forest here. Also, having real dials for speed, tach, fuel, etc. is big for me but I'm kinda old school so that's no surprise.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's a little factoid for automotive buffs or just to dazzle your friends:

The four Goldberg brothers, Lowell, Norman, Hiram, and Max, invented and developed the first automobile air-conditioner. On July 17, 1946, the temperature in Detroit was 97 degrees.

The four brothers walked into old man Henry Ford's office and sweet-talked his secretary into telling him that four gentlemen were there with the most exciting innovation in the auto industry since the electric starter.

Henry was curious and invited them into his office. They refused and instead asked that he come out to the parking lot to their car. They persuaded him to get into the car, which was about 130 degrees, turned on the air conditioner, and cooled the car off immediately.

The old man got very excited and invited them back to the office, where he offered them $3 million for the patent. The brothers refused, saying they would settle for $2 million, but they wanted the recognition by having a label, 'The Goldberg Air Conditioner' on the dashboard of each car in which it was installed.

Now old man Ford was more than just a little anti-Semitic, and there was no way he was going to put the Goldberg's name on two million Fords. They haggled back and forth for about two hours and finally agreed on $4 million and that just their first names would be shown.

And so to this day, all Ford air conditioners show:

Lo, Norm, Hi, and Max on the controls.

9. Likes gustafson, SBLatheman liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Booze Daily View Post
    Lo, Norm, Hi, and Max on the controls.
    Hah, you had me going there for awhile.

I think the key here is that a good touchscreen is perfectly fine, however to many of the touchscreens in cars are just awful and are giving folks a bad impression of them overall.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When Honda screws up, it’s epic.

The VFR vee-engine motorcycle had the primary (charging) and secondary (ignition) wiring nestled in the valley. Aftermarket provided heavy duty voltage regulators...

My Honda Fit has front and rear wipers. Whether you grasp the stalk, or the knob at its end, your thumb is visible. Move the stalk (and your thumb) upwards, a specific progression of front wiper functions occurs.

Grasp the knob, and rotate the knob top away from you. Your thumb is most likely moving upwards.

The rear wiper functions are the exact opposite progression of the front wiper.

What were they thinking?