What's new
What's new

wayne air compressor piston.

timbo917

Plastic
Hello,

I am rebuilding a vintage two stage wayne air compressor pump.
I have already placed new roller bearings,had the crankshaft reground with new bearings
and the cylinders honed. Now when putting it back together i noticed a crack in the second stage piston.
I am not having any luck in finding an other piston,new or used. Having spend already a large sum of money I woold
like to have a go in machining a home made piston.
The original was made from cast iron. Can I make a new one from aluminium? Or should I use steel? Won't steel be to hard and
wear out the cylinder. Anny advise welcome.

regards

Tim

Hello,

I am rebuilding a vintage two stage wayne air compressor pump.
I have already placed new roller bearings,had the crankshaft reground with new bearings
and the cylinders honed. Now when putting it back together i noticed a crack in the second stage piston.
I am not having any luck in finding an other piston,new or used. Having spend already a large sum of money I woold
like to have a go in machining a home made piston.
The original was made from cast iron. Can I make a new one from aluminium? Or should I use steel? Won't steel be to hard and
wear out the cylinder. Anny advise welcome.

regards

Tim

Don't use steel. Aluminum will be to light, balance will be off. Post a photo of the piston and the crack. Can it be stop drilled?

I wil try to post some pictures.
It is a large crack that runs thru the piston pin bore. The machine shop that
did my crankshaft told me it can not be salvaged. I don't think this thing is realy balanced.
There are almost no counterweights on the crank and the first stage piston is 4 times bigger than the second stage
one. So it is much heavier than the smal one. How is this balanced out?

I wil try to post some pictures.
It is a large crack that runs thru the piston pin bore. The machine shop that
did my crankshaft told me it can not be salvaged. I don't think this thing is realy balanced.
There are almost no counterweights on the crank and the first stage piston is 4 times bigger than the second stage
one. So it is much heavier than the smal one. How is this balanced out?

I believe typical air pumps have their rotating assemblies balanced via the flywheel.

Stuart

Back