What's new
What's new

Ways to enhance life of " Circular Thread Roll"

PARBHAKAR YADAV

Plastic
We are the manufacturer of "Circular Thread Rolling die" but nowadays we are facing the problem regarding the life of Thread Rolling Die as compare to other major competitors from other countries.

We tried each and every possible thing to match the life of Thread Roll with them but we didn't succeed in this.

---- We are doing vacuum Heat Treatments.
-----We are performing Nitriding and cryogenic treatment.
-----We are performing the surface treatment or surface coating.
-----Also done Raw Metal analysis which is providing long life.

.. we want to know that is there is anything missing during the grinding process or something else.

Okay No, Problem we are ready for that, What will be your charges and what if it doesn't work as expected ??

Please reply I'm waiting for your answer. Or Contact me on +91-9958379326 Parbhakar Yadav

@ Mr. Digger Doug, It's okay No, Problem we are ready for that, What will be your charges and what if it doesn't work as expected ??

Please reply I'm waiting for your answer. Or Contact me on +91-9958379326 Parbhakar Yadav

We are the manufacturer of "Circular Thread Rolling die" but nowadays we are facing the problem regarding the life of Thread Rolling Die as compare to other major competitors from other countries.

We tried each and every possible thing to match the life of Thread Roll with them but we didn't succeed in this.

---- We are doing vacuum Heat Treatments.
-----We are performing Nitriding and cryogenic treatment.
-----We are performing the surface treatment or surface coating.
-----Also done Raw Metal analysis which is providing long life.

.. we want to know that is there is anything missing during the grinding process or something else.

Parbhakar,

You may want to review the following links that give detailed information on thread rolling issues. I am retired now, but the mutually owned firms I worked for ran in excess of 80 multiple spindle screw machines, primarily Acmes and Davenport. All of our thread rolling operations were performed from cross-slides. We used Reed, Landis, and Winter thread rolling attachments. We rolled steel, aluminum, brass and 416 stainless. Our coolant was Mobil Omicron tri-purpose petroleum cutting oil. The lubricity in petroleum oil is better than water soluble coolants (at least at the time I was working).

We traced the biggest problem with thread roll life to oversize blank diameter. Also, no dwell should be allowed when thread rolling. Get on & off the part as quickly as possible.

https://www.pmpa.org/docs/default-s...3aebd2ae46706df9a22bff0000aff8c6.pdf?sfvrsn=0

https://web.wpi.edu/Pubs/E-project/...2612-135331/unrestricted/Booth-Massey-MQP.pdf

Can we perform some type of Buffing or Polishing on thread roll after profile generation to remove microcracks or to make surface more smooth will it enhance the life of roll or not ?

It would help to know how your rolls are failing.

If by fatigue and bits crumbling off, I would look at the quality of the steel you are buying. Uniformity of alloy distribution, and microcleanliness. Vacuum-arc remelting is one technique used to make cleaner steel.

Then at your heat-treatment. Wrong temperatures or too long or too short time at temp can make a big difference to fatigue properties, even if hardness seems OK.

Then at your grinding conditions. If your grit is dull or you are pushing too hard you may be locally overheating the surface and either lowering hardness or making microcracks. There is a fellow who seems to know his stuff that does consulting about grinding problems named Dr. Jeffrey Badger ("The Ginding Doc")

Back