What's new
What's new

wayyyy OT: smartphones

WILLEO6709

Diamond
My Iphone 5s is getting older and I fear for the non replaceable internal battery. My carrier offers Iphone 6s, 6s plus, galaxy s7, and galaxy s7 edge. I would like a bit larger display but I don't want to sacrifice the battery life. Wireless charging sounds awesome as does the water resistance of the s7's. I have no issues with the iphone but its been in an otterbox defender since new ( and its getting time to replace that.. hard to see through it in places).

whats your opinions of the galaxy to Iphone? which do have/ like and why?

Run from your Iphones, you're over paying for out dated technology. The battery life on my S7 edge is great. I have dropped it several times and no issues. The sound quality on phone calls is better and it has everything I need. Plus it's not apple.

Well....one is Apple technology and the other is Android.

Like all smartphone with touch screens, they both suck because they have touch screens.

I have an Iphone 6 and had a 5S prior. My company provides them. Apple is one of those companies whose products suck a lot more than people talk about.

I'd probably look hard at the Galaxy. My guess is they 'try harder' than Apple and might be a better deal.

But the two are really not that different.

If you run an apple branded television and computer, you have already drank the coolaid and would probably be happier with another crapple product.

If on the other hand you are winderz household, then go for the android phone.

I don't normally see linux users asking for recommendations :crazy:

All of the high end phones like the S7 and iphone 6 are really great. There isn't much difference between them now days. No phone has a killer new feature that the rest don't have.

If you think you might like an S7, go for it. They're awesome.

The iPhone 7 should be out in the next few months or so. I doubt it will have a game changing new feature.

I love my note 5 but I'd look at the Droid Turbo 2 as well. Need to get a tempered glass screen cover in my opinion but great otherwise!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

If you run an apple branded television and computer, you have already drank the coolaid and would probably be happier with another crapple product.

Funny, I have been using Apple laptops for over 10 years now without any problems at all. One can thank Microsoft for that. You'd think that after all these years they'd be able to build a decent operating system, but no.....

OTOH I have a Samsung android phone because I don't think much of Apple's IOS.... and I don't own a TV of any description.

FWIW I write software for a living, I don't care if it's for OS X, Windows, linux, whatever, but I refuse to use shitty tools. A computer is just a tool to me, it has to work and I'm not going to spend time fighting with it to get stuff done if there's an alternative.

Personally I'd buy the cheapest Samsung phone that has the features you need and use it until it breaks. That's about 2 years in my shop, one of my phones is still in a ship's bilge spaces.

PDW

You might consider the S7 Active as it should be more rugged.

I have an S5 active with no case in a shop environment and it's great. Previous phones were kilt by the grinding dust such that I had to start keeping them in a baggie.

I have an S5 active too. Best phone I've ever used. Had an S2 Skyrocket previously, and the S5 has much better battery life, better camera, screen, pretty much everything is better.

I have a clear screen protector from bodygards. Can't even tell its there. The screen protector I had on the old phone was some kind of plastic and dulled the display down quite a bit.

I also have a pelican case for the S5 and am very happy with it. It's plastic not rubber like the otterbox I had on the old phone. The otterbox rubber started to swell a little and looked like crap after a year or two.

The only downside to the S5 active is the usb port isn't waterproof. The rest of the phone is but there is a cap for the usb which is kinda delicate. I'm careful with it and havent broken it yet, but it's a pita. The S7 has a waterproof usb port and no cap.

If your phone is still working, why replace it? You can get a replacement phone same-day if yours dies. Quit falling victim to the marketing machine.

My current phone is the Samsmsung Galaxy Note 5. I really, really wanted the note-taking stylus for hand-writing, but I must confess that it's not a feature that I use a whole lot. The screen is SUPER touchy/sensitive, and if I must be honest, the screen is a little TOO big, which makes it a little clumsy to use with one hand.

That being said, it's a great phone/device. I love Samsung's version of Android, and just in general, I love the features that Android allows, over the Apple OS. For example, I love how you can position Icons anywhere on the screen. And also add contact-shortcuts, widgets, bookmarks, and whatever else to the home screen. And the Google voice-input is amazing - I mean orders of magnitude better than "Siri..."

I would not hesitate for a second to recommend a Galaxy phone to anyone, and despite its just-a-little-too-big size, the Note-5 too.

But, if you want a Seriously well-constructed phone and aren't crazy about the software features, then look into the Motorola Droid phones. Very tough construction, and impressive "physical"/hardware features. If I had to get rid of my Note-5, I think I'd trade it for whatever Moto-Droid was current.

My Sky Rocket (Galaxy S2) just died after around 5 years and I have replaced it with a brand new LG G4. This is last year's LG flagship phone at less than half the cost of the new flagship phones. I wanted it for the camera and do not care about the phone part as all phones are about the same anyway. I purchased it through Amazon. It was factory unlocked as I wanted to avoid a contract situation. It does what I need to do. Before buying a current latest best flagship phone, I suggest checking out last years models.

If your phone is still working, why replace it? You can get a replacement phone same-day if yours dies. Quit falling victim to the marketing machine.

says an an employee and not the owner. considering one phone call in this business can be orders of magntude revenue over phone cost.... if your not on comms you are loosing money.

do you wait for your car to stop completely before you replace it?

The Galaxy phones are really nice, I had the S3 and now have the S5.
I will never buy an Apple product, a lot of my friends have the iphone and most like it.
It's all personal preference, but you WILL pay quite a bit more for the iphone.
Take a good hard look at the Galaxy phones and the Note phones from Samsung.
Motorola makes some good ones too, and I think I just read that Nokia is getting back into the fray soon.

Back