What's new
What's new

We Lost a Giant of a Fabricator

I am sure most of you did not know him, Chuck Looper my friend and mentor died in his sleep Wednesday night. In all my years in racing he was the best fabricator I have ever known, He would help anyone, he taught me so much over the years. his welds were fantastic row of dimes perfect. A wealth of knowledge of metals, procedures and welding and of life in general. He had an incredible sense of humor and was always laughing about something. He worked on Dan Gurney's Eagle race cars in the 60's. You say you destroyed your race car? If you have an upright and a few magnesium bulkheads left he could build you a new car, beautiful aluminum tub with rows of rivets and parts that fit better than possible. Flawless aluminum wings and aerotube suspension parts. He was the man that had been there and done that. In the Team Rahal garage at Indianapolis after the Honda powered cars were too slow to qualify the team leased Penske Chevy cars. Roger Penske walks in the garage, sees Chuck and says "you guys brought out the big guns". He knew everyone who was anyone, driver and owner alike, never bragged about it and always helped the newby. I was with him on Monday, all was normal, I had no idea it would be the last time I would see him alive. I am terrible with words especially when you can't see through the tears. Make every day count guys, you never know how many are left. RIP Chuck.

I am sorry for your loss. He sounds like a man I can only wish to have known. Great people with fantastic skills shape this world. It sounds like he made his mark. What can be better than being kind and teaching others?

Thank you for sharing.

Sad for your (and gearheads everywhere) loss, MM. But at least not all that skill and experience was lost. Whoever learned from him continues his art and keeps his memory alive.

A brief newspaper mention from 1974: Chuck Looper & Don Koda fabricated Lindsey Hopkin's English Leather Offy - Newspapers.com[/QUOTE

Chuck got that car back a few years ago, a pathetic pile of scavenged scrap metal laying in a barn since about 1980. He finished an incredible restoration a few weeks ago. And why not, he built it in the first place.

The amount of knowlege and skill that will vanish from this earth in the next few years in mind boggling to anyone that takes a few seconds to think about it, that makes no mention that these same folks are great people that make lifelong friends. I lost one like that myseld a few weeks ago.

Moonlight: you are not "terrible with words".
Your post I'm sure reminded many of us of the guys who quietly and by example gave us more than we could have attained on our own.

-Marty-

Sorry for you loss friend. He sounds like an incredible person and I wish I had Even a sprinkle of his talent.

They say you die twice in life, judging from the way you talk about him it sounds like he’ll live on for a long time in a lot of folks memory.

Next time I have a round I’ll toss one back in respect/tribute for Chuck Looper.

Sorry for your loss moonlight,

He sounds like an incredible man who touched many.

Lee

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Never Knew Chuck but heard of him many times.

I had the great privilege of knowing/working with a few really good fabricators along the way. Mostly USAC/WoO stuff.

Funny, they always need a decent machinist to "help out".

One day, maybe I can "retire" and find a good race shop to hang out in.

Sorry for your loss.
Just remember, he's hangin' out with some good company.

Sorry to hear about your friend, MM. We're losing far to many craftsmen. In this age of automation, we'll probably never get back the real talent we've lost.

Moonlight...I am friends with 2 old, central PA sprint car owners and builders that have many championships and wins between them. Their stories are always worth the time I spend with them. They're in their seventies and still have differing ideas on how to set a car up.

I will cherish the discussions I've had with both.

Sorry to hear this. It was my car , the "Riley" that he was restoring on and off for 10 years after I found him working through RLL. I spent many hours and a lot of lunches with him listening to stories about a lot of the legends of Indy and a lot of funny stories. The craftsmanship and ability to solve what to me was an insurmountable problem was incredible. he will be sorely missed. RIP my friend. PS Moonlight if you could send me a PM I'd appreciate it.

Sorry to hear this. It was my car , the "Riley" that he was restoring on and off for 10 years after I found him working through RLL. I spent many hours and a lot of lunches with him listening to stories about a lot of the legends of Indy and a lot of funny stories. The craftsmanship and ability to solve what to me was an insurmountable problem was incredible. he will be sorely missed. RIP my friend. PS Moonlight if you could send me a PM I'd appreciate it.

Done.......

All the great fab guys from the open wheel golden era seem to be dropping like flies. Some seem incapable of hanging up the tools too, one lesser known in his 80s was recently in a lathe accident which cost him an ear and smashed a shoulder and arm, another octogenarian a year ago knocked out when a too big lump came out of a chuck.

With the mention of the Eagles, a friend had a full set of blueprints, that he gave to a visiting American guy who owned one a few decades ago...not sure where he got them, but maybe from Ron Tauranac, who also passed away a few months back and always seemed to have plans or a punch tape to share, at least of Ralts or Brabhams.

Very sorry to hear about your friend. It is a crushing feeling. I lost my greatest mentor just about a year ago. I cannot think about him without a heavy heart, even now. He was just great.

Back